Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I've owned and used several. Scientific Anglers and Orvis have marketed these lines, obviously inspired by the Rio Windcutter and Airflo Delta lines. They have head lengths of fifty-something feet, and 15 foot tips in the interchangeable models. The ones I've used have respectable, workable tapers and well-made loops. The various tips are sensibly graduated. Confusion comes in that the model names keep changing: Midspey, Short Head, Easy Cast, etc. I suppose that in contemporary terms, they're mid-length.

At those prices, they are real bargains. I'm guessing that there's a lot of market resistance to line/tip sets priced around $150 or more, since most of us have and prefer individually chosen sink tips.

·
Anglish spoken here
561 Posts
Hello.. Nooksack Mac, you´re referring to the Short Head multitip line. The Classic is a 64 feet head. I have an 8weight of the Classic, but have only cast it occasionally with the floating tip. As thus, it works fine. Just my comment on the Short head MT line. The ordinary 8weight floater is, on my GIIIe 8-136, a BRILLIANT line for my exercises. Fine and far off for a size 12 double, and powerful enough for a 5" tandem lure. However, the MT line is a completely different bag. It´s NOT, for some stupid reason, as rear heavy as the floater. Seems to me that the head is almost a level. And it´s about 35grains lighter..
Fishpro, if you decide to buy the Classic, beware of the tips. They could be way heavy.. RIO sells their 15´8weight tips at 109grains. Don´t be surprised to find the supplied 15´tips at 150-160grains. Doesn´t really help your casting, does it?? Yours borano20

1 - 4 of 4 Posts