Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm new to casting a Speyrod. I bought my first Speyrod two weeks ago from River Run Anglers (Great outfit BTW). Its a Heritage 1510 slow action rod which I hear is good for beginners. The store owners have been very helpful in giving me pointers about casting and I plan on attending the Spey Clave this Saturday to learn from accomplished Spey casters/fishermen. My question to you folks is can you recommend any videos/DVDs about Spey casting that I could either buy or get from the library so I can watch them when I'm not on the water? I'm saving my money for a three day school with Derek Brown this next September. I'm sure that that will be the best instruction one can get but its 8 months off and I want to be able to cast 50 feet plus consistently in about a month or two. So any information or instruction will be a definite plus.

Thanks in advance,

Kevlar

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have two videos:

"Spey Masterclass with Derek Brown"

and

"International Spey Casting" by Rio Products.

Personally, I like the Rio tape best, but they are both very helpful.

I watch parts of each before I go to bed hoping that I will absorb enough so that when I set foot on the river this spring I will not look like a complete fool.

CK

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
As Smolt indicated, those two are hands down the best available. If I had to pick one, it would be Derek's. He spends some time discussing hand and arm position which I believe is the key to all fly casting. You need to train your hands and arms to make the same move every time. Spend time on both those videos watching the casters arm and hand movements rather than concentrating on th rod or worse the line!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks RickJ and Smolt,

I talked to a local flyshop around this area and I can rent these videos if I want. I can even apply the rental fee towards the purchase if I want. I appreciate the help.

Kevlar

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Closer Help

Kevlar,
Dana is close and does individual instruction. There are other spey casters in your area that would be glad to help you out.

Be sure you make the mini clave this weekend on the Snoqualmie.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
The Derek Brown and Rio International Speycasting are head and tails the best two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts