Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am looking for other spey casters who fish the Yuba, american,Feather and Klamath rivers in Calif.
I don't really know anyone in this area that uses two handed rods,so I think it would be cool to meet others in my area who share the same passion for the sport that I do.

Thanks, Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
141 Posts
northern CA spey casters

I often fish the rivers you list, and as you say, you don't run into many spey casters. Most of the fishermen are drowning eggs or nymphs (which is a lot more productive). there are a few more. If you go to the section on Claves, a few tried to get together on the Yuba a few weeks ago. I couldn't make it because of a Mexican trip that I had planned.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One more option: If you get as 'far' north as

THE ROGUE you're on! Joan and I 'just might' :D find a "fluffy pillow" with your name on it for a weekends go.
fae/jee

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fred re the fluffy pillow

Will, he find a fine Swiss chocolate on his fluffy pillow each night after his bed is turned down?:hehe:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
EAS95354

Maybe we can get together sometime. I have yet to scare the natives with my terrible spey casting on the Feather. I really want to get into the salmon fishing when they start coming in if it isn't 120 degrees on top of the water.

Apparently the March Brown hatch has started on the Yuba after we basically had no Skawla hatch this year.

The water on the American is down to good fishing levels after they killed a bunch of new baby fish with too much water for the Delta.

For the first time in two years, the flows on the lower Sac are fishable. The last two years they have been out of sight producing electricity since we had no new power plants in Kali.
My son was up last week and caught several nice Trout including one just under 8 #'s. The fish were so big and hot, he had his a$$ kicked with his 6 weight rod. He went to his Sage 7 weight salt water stick and the odds evened out.

I'm retired and prefer to fish during the week so that I don't hook any one handed rod fishers.

I would like to fish the lower Sac with a Spey rod.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd love to...

... get together with you guys - Eric, Grampa Spey, and Bob P. - to fish the [email protected]#$. Fished it Wednesday - three eats - no fish. Saw Skwalas, PMD's, and Little Yellow Stones. Going back up Wednesday.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dave Drennan re Wed March 19 or 26

It sounds like you are off on Wednesdays.

I would like to meet you or a group up on the Yuba at Sycamore ranch on either the 19th or 26 th of this month.

We could have our own mini/mini Spey Clave. Get back to me and let me know if you can Spey!

Dave

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Re: Fred re the fluffy pillow

Grampa Spey said:
Will, he find a fine Swiss chocolate on his fluffy pillow each night after his bed is turned down?:hehe:
No, but he will get darned well fed while he's here with Joan and I. "House Rule" though is you show up at the door with at least one bottle of pretty good single malt Scotch. Two ... and you're set for life.
:smokin:

Hay! I guy's got to have his priorities set.:devil:
fae

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey Grampa Spey and Dave,
You guys should try the American , a lot of guys are starting catch small steelies in the middle river areas on caddis patterns.I was there yesterday and had a few grabs,only landed one half pounder but lost a bigger fish.I was swinging a #10 olive Birdsnest on a floating line.
I fished with Doug from this forum,cool guy.I hope to meet up with rest of you guys.

Eric

[email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Off on Wednesdays...

... but not by choice - in the ranks of semi-employed. Can do either 19th or 26th - your call. Planned to fish the American this week Wednesday - Friday. Gotta look for a job Mon - Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
EAS95354 re the American

Thanks for the feedback. What do you mean by mid River, ie which park on the American?

One of the best kept secrets is the half pounders in the American basically all year round. They are a blast with the lighter rods like my Sage 7136 with a floating line. The Fox Caddis Puppa in Green with an indicator and a right angle dangle with a small tungsten bead can be really effective.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Dave Drennan re March 19

I have family commitments this week on Wed and Friday.

The 19th is a good date for me.

The Sycamore ranch or the American is good for me. Lets play it by ear and see the weather and the water flows.

Anyone else in the area, who wants to play can join us.

·
124 Posts
can't make a weekday

I would like to fish with you guys, but it is tuff for me to make it on a weekday. I usually fish the weekend mornings on the American and this past weekend I fished with Eric. I think he had a nice fish on, based on how the fish came out of the water and the size of the splash!!! It was great to be out there with another spey guy.

He was also nice enough to let me try out his T & T 1307. Ah, man that is a sweet, sweet rod. I really want one now. I guess I will wait until I come back from Fred's Charity Spey clinic to make my final decison on this.

-Doug

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Grampa,
Try the riffles between Watt ave. and Sunrise Blvd.
I was fishing the riffle just below the Watt ave. bridge last weekend,good place for a spey rod too.

Eric

·
Registered
169 Posts
Gee - and all THIS time, I thought.....

I guess I suffered under a misconception. I always thought that the "ideal" spey fishing partner would be a sweet, young gal who couldn't even zip her fly vest (amply endowed), attractive, a good conversationalist, and awfully immoral.

Poor me! I guess maybe I picked out the wrong partners. Oh, well, I guess I will just suffer through with my current partner.

BobK:hehe:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Eric

Eric which side of the river in that area?

That is easier to get to than Sailor Bar.

I will be leaving at about 9:30 this morning.

Thanks
Dave

·
124 Posts
Gramps,

Eric and I fished the south side of the river. Just take hwy 50 and exit Watt ave. You will see river access signs and follow to the river. You will see the rifle just below the bridge.

-Doug

1 - 20 of 22 Posts