Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Eureka...

Hey Rick , Thanks for the heads up, a moment of lucid clarity like that was a long time coming. I will run quickly to my nearest flooded venue and work out the rest of the calculations. By the way what brand of napkin was that written on?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Re Spey Casting Made Easy

That diagram looks like me on the American River yesterday. That was the first time I have cast on river left in over an year. I finally got it down before I left in shame. Most rivers that I fish with any access are river right casting rivers. This morning I feel like I was trying to cast 30' shooting heads with a 10 weight telephone pole instead of my 7136.

I think that some pro was casting a Grand Spey about 1/3 of a mile up river from me. He was booming out some modified single spey at least over 100 yard. He would strip in about 30'-40' of line cast 70'+ and shoot the rest with a perfect loop. The only satisfying thing was that he was no more successful than I was. His rod appeared to be at least 16 feet long.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
100 Yards

Grandpa,

That would be a new world record, almost twice. I think you meant 100 ft + casts which is great while fishing, expecially if the form is good.

I really like the 7136. Are you casting with your dominant hand on top?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
t_richerzhagen

I meant 100'. It was embarrassing enough in feet not yards.

With River Right, I cast my 7136 with my dominant right hand on the top with all my casts.

With River left, I cast the single Spey with my right hand on top and my left hand on the double spey.

How do you do it?

·
Registered
933 Posts
I am sure someone -- most likely I -- have asked this before. What is "river right" as opposed to "river left"? Thanks. CK

·
speypages brother.
201 Posts
if all those lines were one, it would look like me trying to do a snap-t on river left. thats why you should never stand close to someone learning to cast , right scotty.b.m.............jim..

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Dominant Hand

Grandpa

I am very right hand dominant, so I keep it on top on both sides of the river. I hope to be able to use the left more over time.

I like the reverse spiral roll on the left bank. I am still having trouble getting a really good single spey.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
River Right and Left

Smolt,

River right is on the right side of the river looking downstream and "righties" double spey from that side, or snake roll.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
t_richerzhagen

On my River Left, I use my right hand a lot as the lower hand for both power and control on the double spey. I need to use it more on the second phase as I move the rod down and upstream. With my left hand up, I often over shoot my mark, and my fly, leader and line go to far up stream. This is a common error with my single spey river left and dominant hand on top. There, if I over shoot, I just circle the rod and line around, do the d loop as it gets in the pocket and shoot it out. My son does this with his sinking tips and bangs them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts