Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Newby to the site :)

Having followed the introduction of the FFF double handed qualification could anyone recommend literature or videos that cover some or all of the syllabus?
I'm especially looking for definitive descriptions of the casts in the test along with the many others that are developed and named in North America that we over in Europe have trouble finding here (Perry Poke etc)

Having viewed the general videos and books on the subject (Mel's Essence of Spey Casting and the Rio Videos) I'm looking for more information and a more in depth look at the casts along with methods to *teach* them as well as learn them.

What books and videos/DVD's would you recommend for someone to gain knowledge of all of the current and progressive casts out there?

Thanks in advance,
Carl

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Carl,

Welcome to the site. I don't think there is any comprehensive book or video out there that will cover it all, it seems that the innovators are well ahead of the documentors. The best thing I can suggest is to check out Dana's Speypages, he has video clips and explanations of all the stuff. You can click on the link at the top of the page or go to www.speypages.com

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I agree with Kush, Dana's work and the contributions of members of the speyclave are the most complete contemporary spey resource anywhere.

Assuming you have already heard of/seen the classics: Derek Brown video, Simon's International Spey Casting video (Rio) - for very recent and contemporary footage contact our sponsor the Flyfishing Shop in Welches OR to obtain the video made at the Sandy River Clave in 2003. This video includes many of the modern casters with Pacific Northwest styles like Ed Ward and the Skagit technique.

As far as written material pertaining to the test itself, the FFF site contains a description here:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/certification/spey.htm

Good luck with your quest and welcome to the community.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
you found us!

Hey Carl--welcome here from sexyloops! Glad to see you!

Tyler and Juro are right, there really isn't anything that covers all of the stuff on the test in one package. The single spey and double spey stuff are covered well in Simon and Derek's videos; the overhead stuff and a little bit of the underhand stuff are covered somewhat in Simon's video (the sections featuring Leif Stavmo); the Snap-T/Circle Spey is covered in two additional videos, Dec Hogan's Modern Spey Casting and John and Amy Hazel's Introduction to Spey Casting. Goran Andersson has an old video about Underhand casting that is in Swedish and I understand is very good but I have not seen it. The best video on the Underhand Cast done in English that I have seen is Henrik Mortensen's The Perfect Cast.

I would suggest participating in our "Instructors" forum here on the Spey Clave. There are several of us in there who have either taken the test or are studying for it and there are some good discussions happening, or start a thread of your own.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Gentlemen,

As a business man that is screaming "Opportunity!" at me. Why hasn't anyone written this book? :)

I'll be working my way through the site and reading everything available. Is there a video that shows all of the known spey casts and derivatives? When doing the FFF USA single handed qualification the most difficult part was learning the US terminology :) Its fine being asked to show a particular cast and how to teach it if you have actually heard of it, but there are not many Perrie pokers in the UK :) another example would be the Spiral Spey. In the UK that's called the Snake lift of C lift. Another cast of two nations separated by the same language.

Without being in the USA and being immersed in this terminology at spey claves etc, its sometimes difficult to keep up with the naming of different cast (much more so with double handed casting than single handed casting).

A library of video of every cast and variation would be number one on my wish list. I believe Frank Lopretsi has initiated this with single handed casting on his web site.

Its good to be on board and I'm looking forward to deluging you all with questions.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Berlin

In case you are interested I have a book on spey casting coming out. All the photos are in full color and there are hundreds of photos and illustrations to compliment the text. In fact I have just received the first copy. The rest is scheduled for release on or around 16th August.

This book contains diagrams, photos and text on the roll cast, switch cast, single spey, double spey, snake roll, snap T/circle, devon switch, perry poke, oozlum spey, underhand cast, spiral spey and the single handed spey casts (dry fly spey, turbo spey and side spey), as well as an advanced section.

I know you will be able to get a copy here in the US from dealers like Bob Marriotts and Hunters Angling. There are plans to release the book in a Scandinavian, Japanese and European edition, but that is someway down the line.

Hope this helps

All the best
Simon

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Simon,

What the heck is the "oozlum spey"? I know what all the others are; but I've never heard of this one. Please describe it as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts