Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to learn how to spey cast. I have watched the videos and looked at a few books but the results are disappointing.

I need a few hands-on lessons.

Can you recommend any instructors in the Seattle area?

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Seattle area spey lessons.

Give Ryan a call (I think he's at Ted's Sporting Goods in Lynnwood). If anyone, he would know.
fe

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
George Cook...

He does Spey Casting lessons periodically through the winter through the many differnt shops in the area. His next class is Febuary 2nd on the Sky at Ben Howard. It is $60 and well worth it as he is the Sage Rep, has been doing it for years plus it is a very very small group-group of 5 max-so you will get plenty of hands on instructions. He aslso brings all sorts of differnt rods to fish...

If you are intrested just shoot me a hollar at Ryan Petzold

If you can not make that one, give a call to Avid Angler as I believe he is also doing a class through them this winter...

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
How about the membership givin' this gent an intro sometime? The way some of you can Spey cast he might not need to hire anyone!

For videos I would recommend the Derek Brown video for starters.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
1,791 Posts
You might want to try getting a hold of Way Yin, or spey bubba as he is known on the board. His style is more along the lines of Derek Brown (as in long- lining) He usually has Steve Choate along with him on his classes. You would be hard pressed to find a better course than one of his!

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
"26" is 120% correct. Understated?

Both of these fellows are know worldwide for their abilities with a spey rod. Want to feel 'over matched?" Lordie, these are your guys. Both excellent instructors. Steve (and hopefully Bubba) will be down with us in early April for a local class.

Can you wait?????
:devil:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Dennis from the Kaufmann's Bellevue store teaches on the Sky regularly.

Derek Brown comes to the Sky each September for one day classes.

I live in Monroe and would be happy to help. My speyrod and I are getting along better after a year or so of working on our relationship. We are certainly not the worlds most stable couple but may have learned a few things to pass along.

All the best,

Bob

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You should check out Dana's article on spey casting instructors on his site - speypages.com.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
We're set for Rogue/Medford, Or. Spey lessons.

Couple of details need final polish (all proceeds ... read that about 96% of the 'tuition fee' will be going to Youth Oriented fishing programs) and we're set. Oregon Game dept is pleased as punch that Steve, Way, et. al. are doing this, and the intent of where the $ will go.

OFW is very large in these types of programs but zero funding other than to 'donate' the time of department staff. Have two wonderful organizations that really promote youth fishing (in particular fly fishing) lined up at this point. Will be on the phone Monday to research a couple more. Intent is the funds will be spread out over the State, and each donation large enough to have a real impact.

DATES: MARCH 30-31, 2002. Location: Denmon Bar/Modoc Ponds area just north of down town Medford, OR. There will be instruction for the participants on Sat with video tapeing. Sat evening we'll have a Pot-Luck BBQ at my place (again, idea is to minimize the 'over-head') with video play back/instuctions. Then back on the river on Sunday for more hands on.

Choice of Denmon for seveal reasons: It's not more than 20 minutes from downtown Medford, it's a hell of a place for holding fish (and there should be a wad of them at this time of the year), it has just about every type of water you'd fish over in a 300 yard strech of water, and it's big enough to give instructions and actually practice with dry, tips, etc.

Mark your Far Side cal: Again, March 30-31st. For more, and updated info please feel free to contact me direct at [email protected]. Estimated cost for the weekend will be $200-225 for the weekend. I'm also seeing about laying in 'housing' for some of the participants to keep individual costs down and participation 'up.' Max enrollment is set at about 15 folks as we want this to be a real school session with plenty of time for each instructor with the "students."

fe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sandy River Spey Clave

It would be worth the drive from Seattle to attend this weekend event in May.

Check out this link.

http://www.flyfishusa.com/about-our-waters/spey-clave/spey-clave.htm

I just began my two handed career and have seen the benefits of some hands on instruction.

NrthFrk16's post about George Cook is worth looking into. I took one of his classes in December and was very happy.

Enjoy,
Eric

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would recommend attending one of the classes, but make sure you practice, practice, practice. I first got hooked from a one-day workshop with Dec H. and then spent the whole summer on the sky casting. My point is that you need to expect to take a couple steps back to master the casting.

My two cents.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Hi Terry!

I would agree there's no substitute for casting practice. Why do we cast better at the end of the season than the beginning--it's all of that on-the-water practice time in between. As with golf or anything else involving coordination and muscle memory, repetition is the mother of skill.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
SPEY CASTING TAUGHT BY THE VERY BEST

HOUSTON WE HAVE A GO!

March 30-31st on the Rogue River in Medford, Oregon. Steve (aka "Last (read that LONG Cast Steve) and Way Lin (aka "Spey Bubba") will be our instructors. The class will be limited to a max. of 10 to 12 students (and no fudging on the number) for a two day Spey casting instuctions by two of the very best in North America. Other than a few basic costs to cover actual "hard cost", ALL proceeds of this class will be sent to fishing groups who have active and ongoing youth oriented programs. To re-state, this is a "not-for-profit" program. Period.

More later on the details but the 'tuition' will include the class (5 students per 1 instructor), lunch (and I'm not talking about delivered Pizza) on the river, a fab. dinner (think pot-luck for a good portion of the meal) with two camera video feedback, etc.

Above and beyond the cost of the class, you're looking at the cost of a couple of meals and lodging. On the lodging issue we're well on our way to providing 'gratis' lodging for as many attendies as possible. To beat the point to death for a moment: we want you here, and we want as much of your 'financial out-lay,' etc., to end up where it belongs.

Steve and Way are donating their time and talents to assure that youngsters with an interest in fishing have the opportunity to receive further instuction from the best in their geographic area.

Presently, I have two great groups in Oregon lined up for some of the funds; but I'd truely encourge your input on others. The distribution of funds is NOT limited to Oregon; you have information on others PLEASE forward information to me on whom to contact. The only 'requirement' is the sports group/school district be a 503c tax exempt organization. Period.

There are no strings attached to 'our' donation other than the group have an established ongoing youth training program.

Fred

1 - 13 of 13 Posts