Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am new to the Spey world, I am looking for direction on instructional material to hone in on the various casting techniques as well as line setups and understanding the various rod types! I have been a tradition fly fisherman for over 45 years and after a brief lesson on the Squamish River in BC which landed me 3 beautiful Pacific run Steelhead, I have become obsessed with learning this old art (new to me)!
I have ordered a DVD called "Rio Modern Spey Casting", am I on the right track with this video?

Thanks for any help!

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Yes, that one will work.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Modern Speycasting...

Yes, I'll second MJC on this one. A very good start, IMO. Simon G. is one of the best instructors the world has to offer, and the production values are excellent.
The Skagit and Underhand styles are briefly introduced by Mike McCune and Dana Sturn as well as a segment on overhead casting by Simon, so most bases are covered well.
Simon's excellent presentation of casting flaws and their results will prove very valuable when you need to figure out what you are doing wrong and how to correct it.
Congrats on your Squamish fish; the river gave me my first several fly caught steelhead many years ago. I must get back there someday soon.

·
Registered
482 Posts
other good learning resources

In addition to the DVD you have. I've learned a lot from the following DVD's.

John and Amy Hazel's Spey casting DVD
Henrik Mortensen's 1st DVD
Skagit Master 1 with Ed Ward DVD
Dec Hogans Spey Casting DVD

as well as this youtube of Goran Andersson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnc40QQKiVo

And this one of Ed Ward: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__oUQ5OEq8g&feature=related

I took a lesson from Dec Hogan once and it was well worth the money. There are lots of very good instructors now. Seek one out for a lesson or two. It will shorten your learning curve. This is coming from someone who had a loooooong learning curve.

Hope this helps.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
after a brief lesson on the Squamish River in BC which landed me 3 beautiful Pacific run Steelhead
Well whatever you learn from whatever source for sure don't let it screw up this result!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts