Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I hope that everyones season has been a success so far and hope everyone has been able to enjoy some time on the water.

I am lucky enough to get some time off and take a week road trip to the Gaspe and NB. I have a question regarding spey casting and the legal techniques used for east coast fishing.

My trip Itinerary is fishing the Gaspe for 2 days, depending on what we are drawn for, the Petite, Grand or Bonnaventure. Then to the Miramichi for 5 days after that.

I have a Decho 13'7wt with a 540 gr skagit. I have a set of Rio tips and a set of MOW heavy tips as well. I also have a Winston BIIx 11'7wt with a 340 gr Rio Steelhead/Salmon line as well.

I know that in some places it is against regulations, and other places it is looked down upon to use sinking tips. If anyone has any light to shed on this, I would greatly appreciate it. My thought, technique wise, I could get away with using the skagit line and a floating tip, plus long leader. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much everyone.

Josh

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Josh,
You are in for one of life's finest momemts. Use your Skagit head with the all floating MOW tip, or better yet, get a longer WindCutter tip. The best solution is to buy a quality floating Spey line, such as Snake River Outfitters Ballistic Vector for your 13' 7-weight. There is no greater experience in angling, in my opinion, that single Speying one's way down eastern Canada's beautiful rivers.

I don't believe you'll find a need for sink tips.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hi everyone,

I hope that everyones season has been a success so far and hope everyone has been able to enjoy some time on the water.

I am lucky enough to get some time off and take a week road trip to the Gaspe and NB. I have a question regarding spey casting and the legal techniques used for east coast fishing.

My trip Itinerary is fishing the Gaspe for 2 days, depending on what we are drawn for, the Petite, Grand or Bonnaventure. Then to the Miramichi for 5 days after that.

I have a Decho 13'7wt with a 540 gr skagit. I have a set of Rio tips and a set of MOW heavy tips as well. I also have a Winston BIIx 11'7wt with a 340 gr Rio Steelhead/Salmon line as well.

I know that in some places it is against regulations, and other places it is looked down upon to use sinking tips. If anyone has any light to shed on this, I would greatly appreciate it. My thought, technique wise, I could get away with using the skagit line and a floating tip, plus long leader. Any thoughts?

Thanks very much everyone.

Josh
Josh
There are NO regulations regarding sinktips/ sinking lines on the rivers you are planning to fish .The only exception is the Matane which only allows floating lines . If you're trip is planned within the next 2 weeks I'd suggest at least a medium sinktip .Bob Pauli is right ,the Ballistic Vector lines is a brilliant line,However as of last week I was still running a 7ft extra fast sinktip on it .That being said, the tip DID come off for some spectacular hitched fly sessions :)))))))) There's still enough shoulder to the water on both the Cascapedias and Bonaventure to warrent sinktips, ESPECIALLY considering the water temps. Salmon, BTW, started to come to a dry fly on both Gaspe and Quebec Northshore rivers as of the 12th and 17th of June respectively .

·
Registered
289 Posts
I can't comment on Gaspe regs but here on Miramichi there are no regs against sink tips, leaders or lines. Only thing you can't use here are weighted flies. Depending on water depth if you feel the need to get your fly down use a light sink tip or leader but traditionaly summer fishing is done with floating lines unless the water is high. I don't think there is much of a "looked down on" attituded here on sink tip lines in summer as there once was.

So far this year the water as been higher than normal and when it gets close to normal it rains again. lol

If you shoot me PM on more info when your coming to NB and where your fishing I could keep you updated on conditions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I could have used a sink tip this morning as the water was very high on the Miramichi headwaters. At least I had the pool to myself though:chuckle: After following a thread on a New Brunswick flyfishing forum about some fishermen being charged with jigging last summer on the Miramichi I will never use a sink line of any type here unless the water is very high. They were using floating lines and #8 bugs but were charged anyway because two fisheries officers watching from 300 feet away (binoculars) claimed they saw "jerking motions" being performed. They were eventually cleared but lost a season and many nights sleep over it:Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Different river .. "Fly only" section of the North Umpqua ..

I can't comment on Gaspe regs but here on Miramichi there are no regs against sink tips, leaders or lines. Only thing you can't use here are weighted flies. Depending on water depth if you feel the need to get your fly down use a light sink tip or leader but traditionally summer fishing is done with floating lines unless the water is high. I don't think there is much of a "looked down on" attitude here on sink tip lines in summer as there once was.
here in Oregon.

fae

·
Registered
289 Posts
I could have used a sink tip this morning as the water was very high on the Miramichi headwaters. At least I had the pool to myself though:chuckle: After following a thread on a New Brunswick flyfishing forum about some fishermen being charged with jigging last summer on the Miramichi I will never use a sink line of any type here unless the water is very high. They were using floating lines and #8 bugs but were charged anyway because two fisheries officers watching from 300 feet away (binoculars) claimed they saw "jerking motions" being performed. They were eventually cleared but lost a season and many nights sleep over it:Eyecrazy:
I wouldn't believe everything your read on that forum. I think there was more to the story than what was let on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Friend of mine fished some private water in Blackville yesterday. They hooked 7 fish and landed 3. 1 grilse, 1 25lbs salmon and 1 25+lbs salmon. He said they where very fresh and fought very hard.

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
fae-
Do you think the Oregon regs prohibit sinking tip "lines" on the N. Umpqua? To me it reads no added weights (i.e. lead shot) to the line.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
fae-
Do you think the Oregon regs prohibit sinking tip "lines" on the N. Umpqua? To me it reads no added weights (i.e. lead shot) to the line.
Hi Guy!

The fly only water on the North Umpqua is one place you WANT to really read the regulations. Similar may be in place somewhere else in the State, but I've yet to find it.

The use of sinking lines (tips, line, heads, etc.) is a fairly recent change (well, a few years back). Up to that time it was floating lines and unweighted flies only. By 'unweighted' I mean not even a wire rib or a bead head.

Again, a 'dated' conversation with the F and G folks up in Salem, but asked (for the North Umpqua) 'what constitutes 'added weight?' Lead wire, bead heads were a given, but what about just normal fly tying 'stuff' such as tinsel, etc. Answer was 'flat tinsel' would be 'ok,' but 'oval' would be considered 'added weight.'

Another 'dated conversation' with with OF&G was why the change to you can use a sinking line (etc.)? Darned interesting conversation. Apparently some of the more 'inventive' locals read the Regs and said .... "Hummmmm?"

What they did was to take a HUGE salt water (we're talking Shark size here Boys and Girls) hook, cut it off at the bend, tie fly on to that with a trailer/stinger hook. Very legal per the regs ... and the thing would sink like a rock. "Camp Water" just above/below Steamboat was their fav. place to play the game.

Gather there were more than one 'confrontation,' tickets and/or arrests ... one of which ended up in front of a Judge. End game was there was no bar (bad pun intended) against using an 'articulated fly.' The trailer hook met all the posted requirements for gap size/what-ever.

'Case for the Plaintiff and the State will reimburse for costs and reasonable Atty'ies fees.'

'Case dismissed.'

fae

1 - 13 of 13 Posts