Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I went to a fishing store today for the boxing day and I bought a Greys GRXi+ 13' #8.

My goal is to fish for pike with that rod, but I'm new in the spey world, so I have some question about that.

1) What is the best style of spey casting for pike on large river / lake? Scandinavian, skagit ?

2) Can I use my "normal" one-hand #9 flies for pike (big 2/0 or 4/0 streamers) or I need some spey flies / smaller flies ?

3) Do you have a good spey line to recommend to me?

Thanks a lot...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi!

I went to a fishing store today for the boxing day and I bought a Greys GRXi+ 13' #8.

My goal is to fish for pike with that rod, but I'm new in the spey world, so I have some question about that.

1) What is the best style of spey casting for pike on large river / lake? Scandinavian, skagit ?

2) Can I use my "normal" one-hand #9 flies for pike (big 2/0 or 4/0 streamers) or I need some spey flies / smaller flies ?

Thanks a lot...

Might be tough tossing big pike flies on an 8 (articulated over 7") but it can be done. I'd say Skagit would be your best bet unless you're throwing lightweight topwater that doesn't retain water.

As for flies, I'd go with what you use for your single...that's IF you can turn them over. If you can't, I'd suggest upping your rod size to a 9/10 or even 10/11. What depths are you fishing, size of the flies, and are they weighted? All big factors...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer.

In facts, the question is: what kind (weight, hook size) of flies can I use with a #8 spey rod? Since everybody told me that this rod is too heavy for salmon before I told them that is for pike, I believe I can use it for some pike flies? I use a #9 single-hand fly rod for these kind of flies (up to 4/0 if its not in water-retain materials) and since two-handed rod is heavier than single-handed rod, its somehow like throwing it on my #9 single-handed?

I already took a 4lbs pike on a size 4 woolly bugger, so I guess the size is not that important. I'll use the biggest flies you think I can use with this rod.

·
Registered
650 Posts
An 8 too heavy for salmon? Depends on the species and location...are you using the 8 for small landlocked salmon perhaps? If you're targeting large pike over 30", you're going to be throwing some big stuff. I'm assuming you have many different sizes of flies, so the best thing to do would be to get a skagit line in the rods grain window and then see how big of flies you can turnover. Be careful...a 4/0 to your side may sting!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Also - hook size doesn't really tell you how large pike flies are. Some are articulated and weight is added, others are without added weight but a large single hook. I've got articulated 8" flies that have smaller hooks than some of my 4" pike flies. It's all about how much meat is added to the hook. Length, amount of weight added and type of material is more important than hook size when it comes to throwing these flies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again.

I will try it, and maybe I'll use it for bass if its too light for pike.

But, can we use skagit style on lake or calm river, because I heard we need moving water for skagit?

And, can we use topwater flies like frog, mouse or diver on a skagit line?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks again.

I will try it, and maybe I'll use it for bass if its too light for pike.

But, can we use skagit style on lake or calm river, because I heard we need moving water for skagit?

And, can we use topwater flies like frog, mouse or diver on a skagit line?
I remember someone saying if you're fishing stillwater, let your anchor sit a little bit longer. You can definitely use both Skagit and Scandi styles in lakes and ponds. I don't see dry presentations being a problem with Skagit - it may be easier to learn on since they won't retain any water.

My suggestion is start with small flies while casting to get the motions down before trying those big nasty fluffers. Maybe a clouser or deceiver?

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
not sure what kind of flies your using but synthetics help alot with getting "bulk" and good silhouette without adding weight to the fly. Also TFO makes a rod called the Esox for pike/musky, its a modified two hander more for the figure 8 at the end of a retrieve but they have some line recommendations to get large flies out there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I have (Scandi) Spey cast bulky 9 inch Pike flies but I did use 1200 gr line head which was make of steel core clothes line and rod was 12 ft Ugly Stik spinning rod. Performance was decent but it was so hard work that now I fish places where is enough back cast room for overhead casting.

Esa

J

·
0 Posts
not sure what kind of flies your using but synthetics help alot with getting "bulk" and good silhouette without adding weight to the fly. Also TFO makes a rod called the Esox for pike/musky, its a modified two hander more for the figure 8 at the end of a retrieve but they have some line recommendations to get large flies out there.
I used to use a Beulah Surf 9/10 (11') for two-handed overhead musky fishing out of a boat. It worked very well but was a bit unwieldy with two or three in the boat. The Esox Musky (the heavy one on the 12 weight Mangrove blank) has solved that problem The timing is a bit different than with the surf rod, but it casts fine both double-handed and single-handed. I load it with about a 475gr line and it'll throw double Beufords and similar flies quite nicely.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I use a 8wt sage TCX switch rod and a skagit short or Scandi short Versitip on my local canal for Pike. It handles big flies no problem. Your 13' 8wt should be fine although I prefer the versatility of the shorter rod especially if trees are on the bank. It's a great way to practice your spey casting

·
Registered
735 Posts
Get in contact with a guy who goes by the handle of Baltic Fly Fisher (google him he has a website).
I first chatted with him on a UK forum, and he fishes for big pike on the European continent (> 20lb I believe) with Echo switches in quite low weights (7wt) using a Skagit line with big flies using synthetic materials, so give a big silhouette but not a lot of weight in the air or water.

Cheers,
S

·
flyfishingrussiadotcom
25 Posts
Hi!

Thanks a lot...
When pike fishing most of the time you will be able to do the overhead casting. Spey style in a lake will create lots of unnecessary noise. With overhead style your rod will be able to launch the biggest pike flies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The goal is mostly to learn spey casting, I already have a 9/10 single hand rod for overhead casting...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts