Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that with my latest Rio Purchase, that Rio does not include the tip compensator with their GS 7/8 with tips.

What is the rationale on this?

My tip compensator from my MS 7/8 seems to work very well, if I bring in enough line to compensate for the extra length. Am I in danger of exploding my 7141 or new ARC 1409 if I use the tip compensator?

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dana re Improper and Proper Use of Tip Compensator

This is probably illegal in Canada, :devil: and improper in the USA!;)

In the smaller streams and rivers, the tip compensator works great as a shorter intermediate leader for the smaller rods.

Attach about 18" to 12" of tippet to the "fishing end" and use the Tip Compensator to get down that one or two feet.

Just remove tip 1 and 2 from your WC, attach the tip compensator, and then add the tippet and the fly.

This works very well with Bob Meiser's Switch rods and my 7136 if I want to get down a little.

Some of the one handed guys are sneaking around using the tip compensator this way.;)

·
Addicted to the cast!
274 Posts
Hi Dave, Dana, one and all

The sink tip compensator is not included in the GrandSpey because the head length is too long for it. We found that if you added a sink tip compensator to such a long head line, it was impossible to get the head out of the water - if the compensator was attached to a fast sinking tip. The only way you could get it out would be to strip the head in a lot closer, get the sunk portion out of the water and then try and shoot some line out again to the fishing length - just too much work, so we didn't include it.

Hope that makes sense.

With regard to how it works, Dana, this I will try and keep reasonably brief!

The compensator was designed to replace the middle tip (Tip 2) on the MidSpey or the WindCutter to get extra depth in a fast or strong current. As a rough guideline in a current where a fly would fish 2' down with a type 3 tip, it would fish closer to 4' down with the type 3 tip and the compensator.

That is the simple version of what it does. If anyone needs more info either contact me direct, or check out this link to the right page on the RIO web site: http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/catpage21.html

Hope this helps.

Best wishes to all you Spey Brethren for 2004

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spey Bro and Dana, a handy little chart re Rio's Tip Compensator

Below is a little depth chart, that is derived from the Rio Data without the Tip Compensator and With the Tip Compensator:

FISHING DEPTH:
RIO’S SPEY TIPS WITHOUT /WITH COMPENSATOR:

NO COMPENSATOR: ****** WITH COMPENSATOR:
15’ AQUALUX..: 0'8” TO 2’ **15’ AQUALUX: 2’ TO 4’
15’ TYPE 3 TIP: 1’6” TO 3’ ** 15’ TYPE 3 TIP: 3’ TO 6’
15’ TYPE 6 TIP: 2’6” TO 5’ ** 15’ TYPE 6 TIP: 5’ TO 8’
15’ TYPE 8 TIP: 3’0" TO 7’ ** 15’ TYPE 8 TIP: 6’ TO 10’

I have cut this out and put it into a protective plastic envelope. Then, I carry this in my Tilley Hat for a quick reference to determine how to get my flies down to where the fish are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts