Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've received several requests for this through pm/email so let me put it out there for a general response:

how much interest is there in a basic spey clinic the hour or two before the formal start of the Feb 21st clave? This would present newer casters with the basics to work on over the afternoon and also allow us a chance for a little more one-on-one time. With the basics covered much of the stuff in the other presentations will make more sense.

and would you be willing to support the Forum to the tune of say $30 a head to participate?

·
Registered
8 Posts
spey basics

Dana
Since I've already talked to you on some basic casting fundamentals at the clave I would be very willing to participate in a two hour session before the kick off of the clave on the 21st with some one on one instruction. A small fee is also in order if for no other reason than to support the forum. I will also have one other fellow with me that is also interested. While I have a pretty good understanding of the basics, applying them to the different cast is another matter. Anyway, I'll see you on the 21st. Please let us know if this pre-session is a go and what time it will start.

RT

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Rando!

okay, you and your friend make 2. I would want to keep the class size small to maximize the benefit, so we'd be looking at no more than 4 additional people, for a total of 6. we'd get rolling at 11 and cast until we start the clave, give or take a few minutes for me to have a coffee. There will be no charge for this instruction, but participants who wish to support the Forum can approach Juro with their contribution.

any other takers?

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clave update

spey basics clinic 11:30 am - @1 pm (Dana). please note that the formal part of this clinic will run during this time frame, but I will get things started informally with participants at 11 am. The 11:30 am start gives anyone who has to come a little late time to set up and participate.

casting efficiency presentation 1 pm (Dana)

the underhand cast 2 pm (Dana)

Nobuo Nodera: classic casting & CND rods demo 3 pm

time to test tackle between presentations and from @3:30pm onwards. The Forum crew will have to be on our way @ 4:30 pm to set up for the show.

·
Registered
11 Posts
one foot in

Dana I had better grab a spot now , but I'll have to conferm in the next 24hrs . I'am bringing the whole tribe down for the show and I was geared up for 1:00 , may take a bit of wrestling to leave several hours earlier . Bruce Wright

"In my world I'am in charge ...Yeah right what he said ..:hehe:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dana, do you have any spaces available in the pre-clave clinic? If so please reserve a spot for me and what time does the pre-clinic start?
Thanks,

Speyguy

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you're in!

Speyguy and dal, presuming Bruce is able to make it, you would make #5 & #6, a full house.

We'll start at 11, or shortly thereafter for anyone who needs a few extra minutes to get their waders on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK

Dana I'am in !!! It's going to take some running , but things will be fine . See you Friday A.M. Bruce

" Life in my world can be very good":p

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
great news, Bruce!

I'll look forward to seeing you at 11 on the water in Fall City (I'll be the guy in the 2-tone Loop waders!)

For everyone attending, we can approach this 3 ways:

1. I set the agenda in covering the basics

or

2. you let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to cover, for example: "Why won't my line turn over at the end of a cast?" or "I'm good with the Windcutter but when I try the GrandSpey why does my D loop keep sticking to the water?" or "I really like American beer, but I'm having trouble with that Canadian stuff--why is that?"

or

3. a little of both #1 & #2

please post here or pm me to let me know your thoughts on this!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey Dana,

I may be too late to sign up for the Spey Basics Clinic but if you have any cancellations I'd definitely would like to participate. I haven't checked this discussion thread for a while and missed out on your Spey Basics IPO. I could really use the instruction but if you have no room there are a lot of experienced casters there that are more than willing to give us newbies a tip or two as evidenced from the last Spey Clave.

Thanks,

Kevlar

·
Registered
8 Posts
Casting Clinic

Dana

Personally, I would like to brieflly touch on the basics(since I'm sure most of us have viewed the videos by Rio or Derek Brown), have you demonstrate the basic cast with you emphasizing the possible problem areas as you go through the cast and then let us hit the water and you address our problems as you see fit.

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow and in advance want to thank you for putting on this clinic. I really appreciate it.

See you tomorrow,

RT

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rando, thanks for the notes! This sounds like a great approach.

Kevlar and Peteh, I am anticipating that there will be several people who will come out to the clinic in case we have a last minute cancellation. I have limited the formal participants to 6 so that I am able to spend some individual time with each of them to sharpen up their casting. However, anyone else who wants to come along and watch is welcome, and over the course of the afternoon between presentations there will be a number of accomplished casters on hand who will be willing to provide pointers to anyone who is interested.

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, Leroy!

I'll be happy to spend some time working with you on distance casting. Also my presentation at 1 pm on casting efficiency will be really useful when it comes to this subject.

·
Registered
11 Posts
agenda

I'am the coplete virgin spey caster , Have not seen video ,read book nor picked up said spey rod, I'am so feaking sheltered I haven't even met in person a body that will claim to have cast the BIG STICK .
I have been a one hander for years but will make no claims as far as skill goes .
This being said you should be getting the drift I pretty much need to start at go .

As far as beer is consern I really like the canadian stuff have had ample exposer , but haven't been practicing much lately . The NW cotton picking micro brews and coffee have just about ruined humanity . Most of it tastes like crap and it's a big dug heap to wade through to get to the good stuff . I'd rather have a Guiness if it's all the same thanks .

The best till tomarrow Bruce:p

"somedays you just got to scratch were it itches"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts