Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rich,

I haven't used Spectra Power Pro per se, but I do use spectra for backing on some of my reels. It is really good stuff if space is at a premium. You do need to be careful with knots (it is slippery), you can also cut yourself if you wrap it around your hand to break a snag and you need to wind it onto the spool under tension - as it has no stretch and will bury itself if it is loose. All those warnings given, spectra is great stuff, I use it and recommend it if space on a reel is a concern.

G

·
I also use it as backing. I've found that PowerPro and Bionic Braid seem to work better as backing than many other GSP products. I don't, however, feel it would make a good running line unless doctored up like MaxG does, which is very time consuming.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Gel spun

Spectra or other gel spun line is fine as backing, but would be lousy as running or shoooting line. It's so fine and limp that it would tangle extremely easily and be hard to pick apart. Also, it would be very difficult to handle in retrieving because of its very small diameter. You just can't get a grip on it, and you also want to keep your hands off it when a fish is running.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Rich if you are looking for a spectra like running line check out the airflo mrical braid non-stretch running line. Good stuff and shoots like crazy.

-sean

·
Perfecting the bad cast
206 Posts
Try a search

Rich there was a poster, I believe from Australia, a little more than a year ago who was using something like 80lb PowerPro for running line and loved it. He was stuffing 18-20lb Maxima nylon monofilament up the center to stiffen it.

I tried it and but never could discover an easy way to install the mono. At least with my feeble efforts...way more trouble than it was worth!

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input

I was just looking through a gear catalogue and saw the braided lines that said they shoot well and don't have memory. Looks like there is way more to shooting line than that.

Thanks again,

rich

G

·
With hollow Power Pro you can produce a running line that is quite good, very slippery, no stretch and with no knots. It has to be the Hollow Spectra Braid.
I have done this with 120lb Spectra Power Pro and Jerry Brown Line-One.
Its not easy and requires some care if you want to get the best line possible.
Latest versions of hollow Spectra braids in both PP and JB are 60 and 80lb b/s.
These are very thin, currently I'm waiting for a spool of both to arrive from the USA.
The trick is to insert the mono into the GsP braid with a doll needle, which you smooth out the point to reduce fibre catching. You need to have a smooth round point. The mono can be anything but a slightly stiff line is best and with the 120lb I used 15lb or something like that. With 60/80lb braids I'd go down to something like 6lb.
Its not easy as I said and takes time, quite a few hours and you have to splice a loop at each end, by splicing both the braid and the mono line back into the braid. I put a mono loop into the braid before I get the needle to the end. Then you secure it with just one small drop of Loctite 406 CA glue.
But what you get is a very strong running line, which protects your backing if it gets snagged, most backing lines in the 50lb class are stronger than most running lines.I prefer to have the running line as a potective thing for my backing.
The line is very slick, doesn't twist or knot, is definitely not a handling problem if you understand what you are using and works out of LMD's, baskets etc.
They don't make things like this and don't sell them in shops. Another version is to put your GsP backing line up 20lb Gudebrod braided mono with the same doll needle system.
Mine are usually 120 feet long, which is no joke in the making. But it depends on what you want. I want my fly system to be as knot free as I can get, no stretch and a low in water drag as is possible. I use the head and leader as stretchy buffers, which is where it should be, right at the fish end. I also use GsP backing and am pretty well up on the problems and advantages.
I like these things, Maybe you should try it. A 100yd Spool of Power Pro is definitely cheaper than any rnning line you can but, except perhaps Cobra.
My two 100yd spools cost 36 dollars US, that gets me, since each is 300 feet, 4 full length running lines for a few bucks and a few hours DIY exercise.
Which is, considering the cost to me $61 divided by 4 = $15 per line.
I have pictures of the splicing method which I hand out to interested parties.
The best thing is to practise with a 10/20 foot length of line until you have it down pat. Make sure that there is enough mono line through the eye of the needle, I usually have about 10 feet hanging out. You do not want to have it come out half way. That is a bugger, absolutely.
I wish you well. What you get is a very good line, goes into next week, doesn't hang up in the runners, slick as KYjelly. And there are no knots to hang up either.

Cheers MaxG

G

·
What I forgot to mention is that this Spectra line, wil end up in the region of 0.02" in diameter, and thats thin. My 120lb one is 0.022 in diameter.
MaxG

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Maxg

I would appreciate directions. I had photo of your old sample loop on my hard drive, did a dumby and lost all my files. I would appreciate anything you might be able to send.
Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
howzabout posting it here??

Max,

I think you can post photos here on the board as well, and I bet a lot of us would be intereted in the results of your "research"..

Thanks,

Scott

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Pwer Pro for Backing

Hello, I use Powerpro (chartruse) on some of my spey reels and find that it works fine and is about 1/3rd the price of "gell spun" backing made for fly line backing. It is great for backing on a reel that would be to small for dacron backing and a spey line. What reel and line do you want to use it with?

G

·
I don't know how to put pics on here but I can send it via email to anyone who wants it. Look it isn't easy to do, takes quite a while and you should get a section of line and do a bit of practise before you commit to the big thing.
Actually you only need about 80/90 feet because that will get you out to over 100 feet considering the length of the head and the leader.
I'm something of a radical, I use a Penn 49L as a "Spey" reel, or its what I put on my overhead DH rods. I put it underneath the rod by turning the rod runners up, mounting the reel with the handle on the left hand side and then rolling it over. The reel ends up under the rod, everything works normally but the spool collects the line from the top rather than the bottom. Bit unusual, but it works. Has 3.5 to 1 retrive rate, 39inches of line per handle rev, the handle is big but I'm going to do something about that one day, and its heavy but so are DH rods and it works very well.
I operate on the idea that if its on my fly rod its a fly reel, and if I use a rod, no matter what its made for or looks like, for fly fishing, then its a fly rod.
I'm no purist thats for sure. Half the long spinning rods in the shops will cast fly lines very well, and they are cheaper than Sages VBG. While you are loking at long fly rods, cast your eyes over the other things as well. You never know you might get a winner.
My very first salt water fly rod was a rod called a 10 foot Jarvis Walker bream rod. Made for bait and lure fishing for porgies, and the bottom butt was cut off with a hand saw in the shop. It had ceramic guides, and not many at that. But it cast a 5# line very nicely, and lasted for a year and caught 27 species of small fish. Fly rods are anything you can cast fly lines with, same goes for fly reels.
I find that double hand casting is easier than flogging a 9 foot rod in the air for yonks, and since I'm old and decripid anything that reduces my energy input/output and stops my hands hurting is a fine idea.
Most young people forget that when you gather in a few years, the enthusiasm of youth degrates proportionally to the number of years under your belt.
I'm trying to keep out of retirment villages and away from carers. VBG. MaxG

·
Registered
144 Posts
Maxg's Shooting lines are the real deal!

Are they a pain to make? YES!! Is it worth it? Absolutely. My first 4-5 attempts ended in "F**K THIS!" I finally ended up lacing line back and forth across my yard from fencepost to fence post. I hung a spool of power pro from the fencepost and then hung the spool of braided mono from a belt loop. As I threaded line, I simply walked across the yard, unspooling the power-pro as I went and sliding the braided mono up it. When I got to the end of my yard, I simply continued threading all the braided mono onto the line. I ended up with about 100 ft of braided mono on about 55 ft of power pro. From there it was a simple matter of holding the line sections taught as you unspooled the power pro and stretch out the braided mono that was schrunched together during the threading process. A second person makes all the difference in this process. If I had not had my wife's help, both spools would have ended up tangled in the street by the 7th try.
I have also used 30 lb braided mono as the sleeve with 65 lb power pro threaded through it. I like the way it handles better than the 20 lb mono-braid, and it is far easier to put together, but it doesn't shoot quite as far.

Thanks Max,

G

·
Thank you for the vote of confidence. I have to admit that these days, after doing this trick numerous times its becoming second nature and quite easy to do. I set it up in the lounge so that I can watch TV while I'm stuffing. I actually use a 50 foot piece of stuffed 60lb Jerry Brown GsP as the running line on my 2# 8'6" TFO rod. Works very nicely.
After the 20th time of doing it, it becomes a bit easier. Just keep stuffing. VBG. MaxG

1 - 16 of 16 Posts