Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Name change! Campfire tails

It was 1986 and we had just fished, unsuccessfully, the Avalon Tuna Club Hospital Benefit Tournament. The fishing ended @ 4 pm sharp then everyone heads to the bar. At 3:50 we had @ 30 marlin actively feeding around the boat. I was yelling at the anglers to throw baits but they were in bar mode. "Screw it, lets get into the bar before everyone else!":Eyecrazy: As the captain I was a little less than happy with my anglers!

One of the anglers comes up to the fly bridge and asks when I think we will enter the harbor. I look at my watch and tell him we will be in at 5:50. He looks at me like I was crazy and says, "If we are in the harbor by 5:50 I'll give you $100." Pro tip: Never bet against the captain, especially when he controls the throttles! ;) I actually throttled back a bit 10 minutes out to make sure we hit the 5:50 mark. Thanks for the C note!

On to the fly on the wall.

In the AM I wanted to get out early enough to get a fish before heading home. The anglers, once again, had different plans. They wanted to get breakfast on shore before heading out. As we sat in the restaurant I was listening to the table next to us. They had just completed the Long Beach to Avalon Outrigger Canoe race. One of the crew asks the other guy if he had seen that marlin 300yds out of the harbor.:D

After breakfast I made sure all the rods were set and jigs snapped in before we left the harbor. My anglers thought I was crazy. We idled to the harbor entrance and I ran the boat up to speed, @ 22 knots. As soon as we were up and running I throttled back and yelled down to the guys to throw the jigs out. They were very confused and argued that we were nowhere near the bank. I just told them to trust me and throw the F'n jigs out. The C note angler comes up after the jigs were set and asks me if everything was alright. I just looked at him and smiled. I said "watch this!" We are now @ 500-1,000 yds out of the harbor and I see a couple anchovies jumping out of the water. I told Mr C note to let the Starboard outrigger jig out really long. I yelled at the boat owner to get ready as I dragged the jig right over the 1' wide anchovy ball. BAM! Fish on! This was the boat owners "button" fish that qualified him to be a full member of the Tuna Club. I was very much on top of that fish and in 15 minutes we had it on board.

The time from when we left the harbor to the time we were back in with the fish was less than 1 hour. The boat owner was thrilled to finally be a full member of the "Club." All of the anglers learned an important lesson on that trip: LISTEN TO YOUR CAPTAIN!

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
cool story, Yeti.

First lesson my grandson learned stepping aboard my little boat, "my boat, my rules; you don't like it? swim." I've only had to say it that bluntly a few times to a couple of particularly thick-headed friends, but they were memorable.

Amazing how much people who don't run boats THINK they know about running boats...:cool:

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SS, I have rules that every client hears at the beginning of the trip:

#1: Everything is a fish, set the hook
#2: Relax and enjoy the ride
#3: The captain makes all of the rules
#4: All rules can be disregarded at will except rules #1 & #2

It tends to break the ice and to remind people we are here to enjoy ourselves.

·
Scandit sublima virtus
2,263 Posts
yes, we are indeed that.

Few things more awesome than a hale & hearty skipper who has fun, catches fish, and lays down the law only as needed, not for his ego. A good skipper makes or breaks trips, almost more so than equipment.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I have a good friend that fishes with me all the time, about 6 years ago we where floating the lower Sauk. He would stand up and look over the side all the time and would creep closer to the edge of the boat and I would tell him to center up or he could fall out if I hit a rock. Several times I had to remind him especialy coming in to shore to wade fish. Sure enough as where coming in I hit a rock and over he goes head first. I was rolling on the floor in tears lucky it was shallow and no harm no foul. I did warn him haha!!

·
Lip Ripper
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many years ago I was visiting family on the homestead in Montana. The house is on the Swan river where I spent a large portion of my time, fishing of course. Along comes Wednesday PM and I realize I have to get home for a trip Friday AM. I pack up and head out Thursday AM thinking piece of cake. Driving nonstop from Condon MT to Newport Beach is not quite fun! At one point it was raining so hard I had to stop because my windshield wipers were failing. I pulled in to St Ignatius Mission to wait it out. (That place is amazing!) Going through Vegas my fuel pump vapor locked causing another unexpected stop. I finally arrived home @ midnight on Thursday.

Big game fishing starts early. At 4 am I was on the boat preparing for the 3 day trip. On day one we fished our way over to San Clemente Island. I anchored up in a small harbor called fishhook. The surge in fishhook can be quite strong causing the rock beach to sound very much like a river. That night I was dead asleep and dreaming of the ranch. In my dream I could hear the river so I grabbed a rod and headed out. As I was climbing over the split rail fence something felt wrong. I woke up as I was swinging my leg over the stern of the boat. You never saw someone grab a gunnel as fast and hard as I did. Holy crap that scared the piss out of me!:whoa::chuckle:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts