Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to spend some time in Southern Ontario the first week of October and am looking to fish the Maitland, Bighead, and the Nottawasauga rivers.

If anyone could provide me with some insight on the runs, general locations (not looking for any ones "secret" hole) where a spey fly might be swung effectively during those dates, and perhaps a pattern or two that would be greatly appreciated.

I fish the Great Lakes streams for Steelhead (not salmon) regularly in the fall so I have some familiarity with the drill. Small speys, black or chartrause, on a Type II or III short tip or floater. Slow swing and all that good stuff. Anything specific to those rivers (swing a little faster, dries, different color of fly, early or late in the day, lower or higher in the river system) is really what I'm hunting for.

Also, if you know of any good guides in the area I'd be more than happy to pay for the priviledge. Thank you.

·
Speyladdie
429 Posts
Wilson.
I thought Peter S C would have mentioned the spey clave happening that week.
You could take in the clave,get some tips for the Maitland and Notty,meet the guides then go fishing.
Our web site is,www.easternclave.ca worth a look either way.
Speyladdie.:smokin:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spey Clave

Oh, I'm already there. I'm taking a week's vacation and make an outing of it. I fully plan on picking Simon's brains and casting some different equipment while I'm there.

I did a little reading and had planned on hitting the Saugeen and the Notty, the Maitland if I get time and the run is right. I have some fishing companions in Canada that fish the Notty when their not invading the rivers of my home state. I'm looking forward to fishing their waters for a change.

Thanks again for all the advice. I hope to see you all there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts