Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crushed it on the South Fork of the Snake. Got eats all day long swinging a green soft hackle. Gave the new Winston 5 weight a good workout. A 5 weight Ambush seamed to load the rod just about right. The head is a little short for the big river, but is working well for the smaller stuff. The bottom handle is a little short but it did not take long to get use to it. Very happy with how it performed.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Marty<
was that Winston a micro spey? I have been told that swinging flies does not work on the south fork. from a local shop . do find you have had good success
singing flies? and I have been wanting to practice and figure out skating flies would that work on the south fork of the snake? would be fun way to spend a day or 2.
Troy

·
Registered
146 Posts
Marty<
was that Winston a micro spey? I have been told that swinging flies does not work on the south fork. from a local shop . do find you have had good success
singing flies? and I have been wanting to practice and figure out skating flies would that work on the south fork of the snake? would be fun way to spend a day or 2.
Troy
It absolutely works. It's my preferred method of catching fish on the SF. I can't believe a "local" fly shop told you that.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Marty<
Troy
Some advice is dictated by the inventory in the rod racks and the fly bins.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Marty<
Troy
Its safe to say that you were not at Jimmy's and if the "local advice" was offered at Jimmy's it was either a joke or you were not talking to Jimmy. Swinging flies is one of Jim Sr. favorite thing to do on the South Fork, just ask him.

Troy if you are looking for success in swinging flies on the South Fork find yourself a good riffle, start at the top and start swinging work your way down the riffle taking a few steps after every cast. A good riffle is one you would normally find fish rising to mayflies during a hatch.

Like anything else in fishing time on the water is key to figuring out how to hook trout while swinging. It's not hard but don't expect it to be a magic pill that's going to catch you 100 fish a day. Sometimes they're on the soft hackle and some times they're not. it also depends on the time of day you decide to try it.

Tim

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have to say I appreciate all of the opinions shared :) I am very much an explorer as to what water has to hold . I will definatly keep up the hunt :) I am looking into an echo 12'6" fiberglass rod to play with on the snake . want to try something new .
Troy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts