Spey Pages banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a Lamson Waterworks Force 4 be to much reel for a Z-Axis 8129?

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's is all about what you like weight wise. The "ULA Force 4" is 10.4 oz and rated to 12wt based on the spec's I could find. It has been used on spey rods +/- 15ft.

https://www.speypages.com/waterworks.html

I'm a Lamson ARX fan and a 3+ or 3.5+ are a little lighter reels. I like the large arbor reels and modern drags, that said I use a Battenkill IV clicker 8.5oz on a 4wt 11ft trout spey all the time and although its heavy for the rod I don't even think about it when fishing until I have a fish on, then anybody within 100yds knows I got a fish on :eek:.

Jim Mc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, I have an ARX 3.5+ that I use on my Z Axis 6126 and it is a sweet reel! I was thinking the Force might be too big, was just looking for some input as I'm pretty new to this spey stuff. Maybe I'll try to trade the 4 for a 3. Also, thanks for that article.

Steve

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Heavier reel on a DH rod is not a problem when you can find the balance from a warm cork closer the reel for swing. Perhaps you need to move the hand up for a cast but it should come naturally. Reel weight does not have much effect when DH casting.

Esa

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve,
I'm just a beginner at this spey stuff also. I'm hitting it hard a few days a week but here in the mid Missouri area it's all about trout spey. My long rod for the bigger tailwaters is an older Meiser H2S12635C-4 trouter and it can use the ARX 3+ or 3.5+. For my older Echo3 6wt 11ft switch rod the 3+ feels the best. If you have the reel and rod I'd line it and give it a try. I'm looking for another used ARX 3+ myself. I posted this chart a while back, good info to have. The ARX 4+ and the Force 4 are very close in spec's.
https://www.speypages.com/speyclave/54-tackle/388430-what-size-lamson-arx.html

Jim Mc

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim,

Gorge Fly Shop has the ARX 3+ on closeout for $299 right now, free shipping and no tax.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ll be using this 8wt setup for salmon and big winter run steelies. 50lb gel spun backing, 40lb Lazer Line, 600-650 gr skagit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts