Spey Pages banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
this was ultra easy and fast to make.
I see a few of these around.
My question: any luck with something simple and sparse like these?

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Tim , that is a beauty :smokin:
I have the most success with flies like this .... bread & butter .
The Balmoral is my highest producing fly , change the colours of your fly and it is basically the same .
Basic elements : a little POP , some contrast , keep it sparse , use colours of confidence , low profile in low/cool water , high profile in high/cold water .

Great skills my friend !!

Mike

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Ultra easy and fast to make.....from an in hand tyer. You guys and your skills are amazing. Looks good and I'm sure it will work just fine.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
strip wing

Thanks
I thought to set the wings aside and low? not sure it will make a difference wet? maybe just a different profile up front & or how one feels about the presentation.
Thanks for the input Mike.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
One of my greatest joy's in fly tying is to experiment with various wing sets. In most cases, the body is the constant (that's where I place most of my effort) and the wings are along for the ride. Take it out for a test drive, Tim...you may be on to something. Lovely fly

dave

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That is a beauty Tim! My attempts at Dee wing flies are even simpler than your fly and they have given me success when fished under the right water flow conditions. Here is one and the fish it caught last October:

·
Undertaker
1,356 Posts
Simple?

Oh hell yes, simple flies catch fish (e.g. the skunk). However, while your fly has a simple wing, the rest of the fly is not. You have a tinsel tip, a floss tag, two sectioned body with ribbing, a hackle and a collar, and JC cheeks. Compared to a full-dressed Jock Scott, it may be simple, but really, its not. And yes, I think that fly would hunt.

·
Administrator
19,096 Posts
Tim , as far as wing set ... for me ....

Low or Normal/Clear/Cool flows (combination of any two conditions) - I follow Mr. Brown

High or Normal/Cloudy/Cold flows (combination of any two conditions) - I follow Mr. Murdoch

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts