Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was looking to be an epic fishing year, as I had booked more trips than ever. And then...

So, I am curious, what is everyone doing with respect to booked trips?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
587 Posts
Just waiting and seeing. My first isn't until June, so an immediate decision isn't needed. But unless there's a radical change, not sure there will be any trips for anyone. Closed borders, no flights, and no social interaction doesn't bode well for any travel. I think there's a possibility many operators may decide to cut their losses and call off their season rather than risking further loss by opening and having cancellations. It really is unbelievable. I guess we'll see.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
June plans here also and it doesn't look very good. I don't see it being completely contained in roughly 75 days .........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,111 Posts
Still trying to wrap my head around it all myself. June 10th, fingers crossed! At this point I’m actually getting far more concerned with some of the other ramifications. I have a few family members who are very high risk, so obviously that’s my most serious concern, but I also really worry about the economic impact to so many good people from this. Hope you all are staying safe and sane, it could be a very interesting (challenging) spring/summer (maybe fall too?).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
Just cancelled a trip to Terrace/Skeena for April - next trips are not till late september and late october - will just have to wait and see what happens. On the positive- maybe this will reduce pressure on the steelhead to promote better returns in the future ( just trying to put a positive spin on things)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
That road trip sounds great but I'm under a shelter in place (stay home) order starting at midnight going to at least April 7th. Going out for non essential travel is a misdemeanor.

I am looking forward to two great in state trips this Fall though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Does anyone know if the Lodges are cancelling particularly on the Gaspe ? Maybe Goverment ordered ? We are booked first week June. While I consider this to be very low risk and I don't want to over react I need to take other family members safety into consideration. If I was the only one assuming the risk , no problem , I'd say screw it and go.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
It's very hard to predict as everything is changing at pace. My best guess is that we will see a flattening of the infection rate towards summer - something like mid-May to September - which may allow for some of the restrictions to be lifted for a short time. But it's likely that infections will increase again in the fall/winter period with the added complication of regular seasonal illness that puts extra pressure on health services.

Until we have a vaccine (12-18 months away) and/or effective anti-virals the most important thing is to try and reduce the spread via non-clinical measures such as social distancing.

Like others, if it was just myself I was risking I would probably go ahead with trips - but we all have family members and wider society to think about, the infectiousness (is that a word) seems much higher than anything we've seen in recent times. I'm trying to be hopeful that I may get away somewhere, somehow in the summer/early fall. But until we get this first wave under control we won't really know whether that is viable. The worst case scenario, not necessarily likely, is that international travel is off for 18 months - the knock-on effects of that could be huge. We'll likely be living with the economic impact of this for quite some time I suspect.

For anyone who is interested, there's a good and reasonably easy to understand study on the non-pharmaceutical interventions (isolation, distancing etc) here: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf

Mid-September on the Kenai anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
You might want to re-think your fishing trips and stay home. Alberta and Ontario have declared a "state of emergency", BC is declaring a "medical emergency" and have closed all K-12 schools, and will probably follow Alberta & Ontario with the "state of emergency" in the very near future. The only thing that will be open is supermarkets and pharmacies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Prime Minister Trudeau being pressured to close the Canada-US border to all unnecessary nonessential traffic.

British Columbia just announced closer of all bar and restaurants that can't meet emergence heath criteria.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
201 Posts
June trips will happen if your lodge hasn't already cancelled them. People will accept others getting sick before the potential economic impact from any real lockdown.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
18,636 Posts
I won't be planning a trip outside of Canada this year.
I'm still heading to the right coast for salar in the fall, unless the provinces start barricading provincial borders :hihi:


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Canada and US have now shut down tourism over the border. I think any June trip is unlikely at this point, it's not clear at all where the infection rate really is much less what it would take to declare everything re-opened. I am also worried but more hopeful about September BC fishing.

Staff, guides, etc. are often counting on their seasonal income to get by so we should all think about how we help them vs demanding refunds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,355 Posts
One of the (few) upsides of a limited income - no booked trips to miss. There will be trips this summer, but all of them taken by car and with sleeping bag and tent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,269 Posts
One of the (few) upsides of a limited income - no booked trips to miss. There will be trips this summer, but all of them taken by car and with sleeping bag and tent.
That’s how you do it. A little back country fishing is always a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,715 Posts
Everyone is assuming we can move around locally. If we get to the point that Wuhan, Italy and Spain are at nobody will be allowed to travel anywhere except to your backyard...if you're lucky enough to have one.

I've got a BC trip planned for late August. I'd say it's a 50/50 chance right now. I think we will learn a whole lot more in North America over the next couple of weeks.
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top