Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A sad day on Saturday when while fishing, I discovered my 6/7 CND GPS was delaminating. It was happening in a 1-2' section of running line about 15' from the color change. I pondered crying and having a proper burial. Instead I turned it into a head by cutting the line at the color change and looping to some Larar line. Took it out yesterday and played a little with it.

I'm Not sure if it was the setup or just a bad day for me but I'm not convinced that it is still as sweet as it was in its original configuration. It felt lighter and did not seem to load the rod as before. 100'+ casts were still possible but my timing had to be spot on to get that nice layout like I had come to expect. The day before, those casts were effortless and called for another pull of line.

I will give it another try or two before reaching a verdict but if it doesn't impress me then I will have no option left but to spool up that new 6/7 GPS I have been keeping in the line closet for some time. :smokin:

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,262 Posts
Hi Duggan,

I just received a line returned to me from Steve Godshall. It was one of those, 'I'm not sure what it is but it really works great' lines. The line was really beat up and Steve did as I ask, he fused a new head to the existing line that is exactly what I wanted. I used the rod yesterday and once again can sling my T loaded leaders and giant weighted Sculpins across the creek. Sling them so well that I had to be careful not to hang the fly in trees and brush across stream.

I guess I'm saying that maybe instead of cutting the line you might have sent it to Steve and let him replicate it. Are they no longer sold?

Ard

·
registered text offender
1,334 Posts
wish i had bought two of everything now discontinued that i love. danner or simms studded felt, all hour brown action optics, a couple more lamson LP's, a couple more sage xp's, simms neoprene xtreme bootfoots, an original delta or two...........

i did just find a midspey tho ;)

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
I will give it another try or two before reaching a verdict but if it doesn't impress me then I will have no option left but to spool up that new 6/7 GPS I have been keeping in the line closet for some time. :smokin:
Hoarder!! ;) I just spooled a new 5/6.. the time was ripe.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ard,

Yes they are no longer made. You see them from time to time but rarely.

Duggan

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Couldn't you cut & reverse the running line before splicing so that the damaged section was at the back & presumably wouldn't leave the rod guides when casting [unless you were being particularly heroic]; a coating of aquasure on the exposed section would stiffen it up & secure the ends where the coating has come away to prevent further de-lamination.

I have done this with a lot of my single handed lines where the hauling section wears badly & it generally extends their life by another season or two.

Regards, Tyke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts