Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting to reboot after months tying summer bugs and working on the klamath.

Having a ton of fun tying big winter bugs again. Something about big flies has always gotten me going.

A few of my recent ties....

One last question; have any of you ever had much luck with charteuse for winter fish? I have fished them some, but have always done better with pinks, purple and black....

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would tend to agree with you, my fav out of the blocks is always black/blue in the winter time, but purple/blk in am,,,and depending how close to the ocean I am pink,
But on a place like the clearwater where the fish have been in the river a while, I will tie up a black trimmed olive,,,,more earth tone stuff...

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Looking good Tayler! I'm digging the magnetic wall hung fly displayer. I do have to agree blk/blue is my go to colors as well, but I would fish any of those with confidence.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks! i built most of my tying stuff, thread holder and that magnetic rack in woodshop senior year...

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
I've never seen Intruders that so closely resemble my own. Love the sparseness. I have a lot of confidence in chartreuse down low on the coastal rivers. Purple, chartreuse and black with a bit of flash is killer close to tidal sections.

Nice flies T.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Old School vs. New School Intruder rigging

On a side note, I've gone back to the Old School way of tying intruders with a loop in the back and the junction tubing to secure the hook. I'd do that with any fly with heavy lead eyes. You don't want those lead eyes torquing the hook when you have a hot fish hooked. Can lead to limp lines and sad affairs.

J

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have never rigged them the old style, but have friends who swear by it!

·
The Dude abides
2,079 Posts
Love the use of contrasting colors in the dressings. Only thing I can comment on one way or the other is maybe consider putting some material in front of the eyes, not just for aesthetics, but i find dumbells at the very tip of the eye can fall apart easily, but if you wrap some materials up there, the dumbell isn't the first think to knock the rocks.

I bet a fish eats one of those.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Very nice flies! I really like them. Re: chartreuse. I almost always have some in my flies. In my pre-intruder days, I tied two simple flies for steelhead on sizes 2 - 6. Some were weighted. Simply a black wool body, black marabou wing and a full chartreuse collar hackle (3-4 turns). If I needed a bright fly I tied everything in pink, but retained the chartreuse collar hackle. The black one was especially good on the Cowichan, and the pink one accounted for my first fly-caught steelhead (and many more!) in the Vedder. But I have taken steelhead on both in most of the coastal rivers I fished, on both colours of flies. Must admit I prefer black nowadays, but I'll often incorporate just a butt of something chartreuse, similar to a grren butt Skunk. Guess it increases my confidence.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
in regards the the eyes, i havent had too many issues with the durability. i go through bottles and bottles of sallys hard as nails, generally each fly gets at least 4 coats on the head before they are cleared for service, but i am going to test that theory! thanks for pointing that out!

i tied a few more with subtle hints of chartreuse the past couple days, one that was all black save for the tinsel wrap and the arctic fox prop. ill throw a few more up for additional review.

getting super antsy to swim these through a run or two.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts