Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was gifted this from a friend ;-) Any suggestions how to use these rare feathers properly? My own first idea was to make him a black and orange dee fly with the florican for wings for day fishing, and a strip wing black fly with some blue hackle with the falcon for night fishing. What ideas can you come up with?

Knæk og bræk
Søren

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
;-p I was thinking along these lines for the florican, but with orange saddle hackle over floss instead of dubbing:

http://www.speypages.com/speyclave/showthread.php?t=31265

And for the falcon I was thinking about using a black gordon as template, with the falcon stripped over the hackle wing, and to replace the red floss and tail with blue, and to include some sparse blue saddle hackle into the dubbed front half:

http://flytyingarchive.com/post/101017289559/black-gordon-spey-i-found-this-pattern-from-bob

Søren

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Me and another member were just talking about this situation last weekend... I too was given or got a great deal a lot of really nice stuff when I first started tying and I punch myself every time I think of it see a fly I wasted them on.
do like Kevin said and use the florican in married wing classics (most call for it) but I highly suggest putting a lot of it away and forget about it for a year or two, your flies will thank you!!

Also I can only see a gled wing with that falcon, it lacks red but has some great barring! Have fun with those, that's a great gift that I would kill for!!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
other than "use sparingly" - I won't try to dictate what you do. Very nice feathers by the way. I spent a lot of time in far away places, found many distinctive feathers along the way - you scored big time!!!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I hope my post didn't come out wrong, I wasmy trying to say anything negative about your tying (at all) just my experience in this situation. I'm sure I will look back 2 years from now and hate that I wasted good feathers today! Haha have fun with it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No offense taken Jabrowning24. I think the advise to save the feathers for a time with some more experience is sound. However I want to return the gift with flies made of those feathers given. So I anticipate taking a pair of strips from the florican and the falcon and present the giver with a day fly and a night fly. I know my friend has confidence in my tying, that the flies will be used to fish with, so no expectations of display quality or the like, and that he has expressed that the mere fact that I want to tie a fly in return of his gift is more than he expected. And he has promised to return the flies with a photo of the first salmon or trout that takes the fly. So I want to give him that ;-)

So when the reason and patience has been adressed. How does the two adaptations of the fly patterns above sound with te feathers at hand?

Søren

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
No offense taken Jabrowning24. I think the advise to save the feathers for a time with some more experience is sound. However I want to return the gift with flies made of those feathers given. So I anticipate taking a pair of strips from the florican and the falcon and present the giver with a day fly and a night fly. I know my friend has confidence in my tying, that the flies will be used to fish with, so no expectations of display quality or the like, and that he has expressed that the mere fact that I want to tie a fly in return of his gift is more than he expected. And he has promised to return the flies with a photo of the first salmon or trout that takes the fly. So I want to give him that ;-)

So when the reason and patience has been adressed. How does the two adaptations of the fly patterns above sound with te feathers at hand?

Søren
Nice! That's the way to go. Personally, if I where to ever consider framing a fly that is how id would want to do it also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts