Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the river for a lunch break (read that an hours fishing) and doubt I made a dozen casts. Result (3'd cast) was a hook up and break off at a bad knot. The next three fish weren't so lucky ... other than number 2 and 3 were Natives about 3 pounds each, so back they go.

Number 4 was the largest 'clipped' summer run I've ever landed; close to 8-9 pounds of crommer. Finally, a non-native for the BBQ.

Bonk the fish and then went 'yipes!' I'm driving the Lexus, no fish bags in the trunk, or even a knife to clean the fish. Fellow in the parking lot lends me his knife for the fish ... the 'fish bag' was a wader leg turned inside out.

The 'fishing expidition' didn't last much more than 30 minutes for all 4 fish.

fae

·
Registered
104 Posts
Fred you dog.

I got you beat. Went out on Sunday with my 6 wt just to practice a few casts. The powers that be have just lowered the Kings' (river) discharge to 300 cfs. It's roaring. I was bearly able to wade out into the rushing torrent about 20 feet and make looonnnnggggg casts to the bucket on the opposite shore, about 40 feet away. I managed to hook into and land 2 very large gold 8 inch hardheads. What a day in Fresno. At least we have the second worst air quality in the nation..........I gots to boast about something.
Jimsand

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Fred,

This isn't fair at all. Up here in the Puget Sound, the OP, and southern B.C. are past the river banks, or nearly so with all the rain we've been getting with the record rainfalls.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Fred,

Glad to hear you have good weather and good fishing down there. Nothing for me to do except tie connector loops to my new lines and check reels. All of western Washington is blown out. Wish I was heading to the Ashland clave. Using the wader leg is pure genius. Almost wish I could immigrate to Oregon, but everytime I call I.N.S. for a Visa they keep hanging up. They have no tolerence for Spey casters.

Matt

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been listening to the "northern weather forecasts."

One, a bit a go, said Sea-Tac has had more rain today since they started keeping records!

Yipes!!!

We're still in the mid 70's, bit over cast and muggy .. which is most unusual for this area. Sun tan is still progressing nicely.

Snigger, snigger.
:devil:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Matt, you have no IDEA how many add's are in our

local paper for folks (assumption here) in your line of work. Medford is THE medical center for all of southern Oregon/far Northern California.

Mail Tribune is our local paper, and they have a web site. If your in the medical profession there are at least a dozen PLEASE add's per day.
fae

Forgot, for you Seattle'ites: Our weather forcast for the next few days is a touch of cloud, but 82 for tomorrow, to 76 on Wednesday, and cooling down into the mid 60's (your stuff is finally getting too far south) for Thursday and Friday. Perhaps a late afternoon shower (doubt it) on Wednesday.
:hehe:

All kidding aside: We know your getting hammered; especally in BC.
:(

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Fredaevans

Okay, what rod, line, leader and fly/flies were you using? What casts and how far were the fish out there and how deep?

I bought my trophy bride a new Lexus about two months ago. There is no way she will allow me to take it fishing.:tsk_tsk:

That was a good trick with the leg of the wader, I will have to remember while I'm out in my old Bronco.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First three fish were hooked on an heavily.

wted 'egg' pattern done with small bowtyer strips. The last was on a large black spey pattern (sent to me in one of the swaps). Fishing across!! the river from upper Tou Velle Park. Bit of a walk (easy) from the lower TV boat launch (park right after entering the 'lower park) and walk up stream.

There are 4 major sets of holding water across from the main park .. problem is if your fishing on the park side, is you have a huge cast across river to get to the holding water. And you don't stay in the holding water long enough to do much good.

If you're across stream, the fish are litterly holding right at your feet in the fast water, or just above in the flat water above a break.

Farthest fish hooked couldn't have been more than 20 foot from the beach. Using Bob M's 8-9 13'6" spey rod/7-8 xlt for a line. The last fish was hooked in very fast water on a 7100 xp with a sink tip and large dark fly.

Either way, with the cold/clear water, you need to be right on the bottom to get your hook ups.
fae

·
Registered
344 Posts
With apologies to those north of us who are getting drenched, the fall fishing in Southern Oregon does seem pretty good...

I made a very quick trip from Portland to the N.Umpqua last Thursday and Friday. I got on the river about 2 PM Thursday after stopping at the Blue Heron, and fished the rest of the day and all day Friday except for first light and a long lunch.

I mostly fished the waker. I had intended to fish wets more in the AM, but the night was so warm that I fished the waker most of the AM, too. Water temps were 48 to 50 degrees...pretty warm for this time of year.

Anyway, story for the short trip was 4 rises to the waker, 2 hookups, 1 fish landed. I also had a yank on a Skunk Friday morning. The fish I landed was a very nice wild male of about 11 pounds or a bit more.

I hope those of you not having such a nice fall are blessed with great conditions this winter.

--Bill

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm from "Up North of ya all" and I can tell you, last Friday when I was out one local river was 12feet above normal, another local river had the bridges closed over it..... fish are still there though but the water is so dirty. I did manage to catch a few on sparse maribou fly's.

Doug

ps Matt, My cousin is a Nurse here in BC most of her class mates went down south to work and they are still screaming for more nurses, good luck to you if you decide to pursue it on the Wet coast.. I mean.. the west coast.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Oh who am I kidding. I've been nursing in this 230 bed facility for 12 years. If I left, the 36 grandmothers I take care of on my hallway would follow me down to Oregon and beat me to death with their walkers. Still, if I got into Steelhead on a routine basis, it might be worth the beating.

Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts