Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been whipping a few classic flies as of late and like always there is room for an upgrade or change in my fly tying world. By far the best looking floss I found is JEC floss. It is one fine strand silk that lays extremely flat and looks very nice if used correctly. Underbody must be very smooth and one MUST use silk glove or very clean hand to apply. It comes in countless colors.

But... we dont live in the perfect world and there are trade ofs with it too. First we above mentioned application. Its troublesome. Second is its packaging. It comes with this cheap paper tube and storing it a pain.

JEC silk pallet

One of the few Beuly Snow flies I tied the other day. This will kill! Didn't know egg sucker was invented few centuries ago...

Grey heron. Yellow here used is UTC 140 thread. Love using it instead of floss!

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
I like the unrully-ness of your Snow fly.

Been using JEC for some time now and I know what you mean in each regard. Mine came wound on tubes - not flat like the pic shows. Still, it was a pain until I transferred it onto empty spools of thread using a hand-drill to do the winding.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Very nice flys, well done!! That Heron is sooo sleek!!

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Great stuff all around, haven't used those floss, using Kyoto silk bought off etsy... This is the stuff that comes on the hard cardboard rolls...

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the unrully-ness of your Snow fly.

Been using JEC for some time now and I know what you mean in each regard. Mine came wound on tubes - not flat like the pic shows. Still, it was a pain until I transferred it onto empty spools of thread using a hand-drill to do the winding.
The above picture shows their sample card that I use to match the needed color I need to purchase. Yes, they do come on paper tubes and they are very problematic. I also use empty UNI spools as well to store it.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Been thinking about floss use. Japanese (JEC) is nice if used properly but I want to find a bit cheaper and less troublesome floss. I've used UNI-floss before and I didn't like it at all. Today I handled Danville 4 strand and really liked it the way it looks and behaves if used as a single strand. I saw that Danville has it listed available in 4, 2, and single strand configurations but I only see 4 strands for sale and no single strand is available to purchase. Does anyone know a dealer where I can obtain single strand Danville rayon?

Almost giving up on the idea of using UTC tying thread for bodies but only because of lack of color choices. I really like this thread instead using floss. Tying tags is such a breeze with 70 denier... Not yet sure if it being waxed would ever be a problem if used in murky water. Other tying threads lacks sheen to be used as floss but UTC is just perfect.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, thank you for your kind and inspiring comments everyone! Just about few years ago all you saw here posted were intruders and such. Nice to see old classics coming back into popularity again. Be it Atlantic salmon patterns but you steelhead hunters really took these patterns to the next level! Without you guys these patterns would have vanished only to be found in old books. Keep the tradition alive and keep them coming!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
By the way, thank you for your kind and inspiring comments everyone! Just about few years ago all you saw here posted were intruders and such. Nice to see old classics coming back into popularity again. Be it Atlantic salmon patterns but you steelhead hunters really took these patterns to the next level! Without you guys these patterns would have vanished only to be found in old books. Keep the tradition alive and keep them coming!
AGREED !!!

dg

·
Grandpa Howard
3,432 Posts
What's an Intruder?

Great work on the flies, the Gray Heron is spot on. As for floss, Japanese Silk Floss (Alec Jackson) is what I like.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any input on Persalls Gossamer? I know its popular among wet fly tyiers and it's used as thread. How does it look on a salmon fly I wonder... I know some use it as tying thread when doing in hand tying.

Im thinking about trying a spool to use it as thread and floss. Imagine to be able to tie tip, tag, tail, and first half body with just one thread!!! There is something about this idea that I like... fast, simple, and results are very satisfying. UTC ultra thread just lacks few colors to substitute for floss :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts