Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
loco alto!
3,109 Posts
the "self medication" when squinting bears a colorful resemblance to Scotch - is that it? :devil:

·
fly on little wing
1,136 Posts
hello fredtrout

what material are you using for winging?

Gary

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary,

For long wings like these I like silver fox tail. Hard to get good quality and I still throw away about 2/3 of each piece since only the top part of the tail is soft enough. For brighter colours I first bleach the hair to get rid of the darker tips and also to get more vibrant colours.

Have given up trying to find good temple dog, costs a fortune and is probalby banned any time soon ( a lot of ugly stuff regarding the handling of the animals). Good silver fox works just as well and holds up better in strong currents. These flies may look like there´s an awful lot of material on them but in reality they are quite lightly dressed and "fluffy". If you tie the wings so that they cover the top half of the tube you get a mobile, translucent fly with lots of volume.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not really, there may always be "snippers" around but mine and my friends´ experience tells that those fish are hard to hook and keep on no matter what you´re using. When fisihing big flies like these, salmon often grabs the fly from the side. (The same thing with the famous "Sunray Shadow" which the Norwegians often tie very long, sometimes as long as 8 inches.) Those flies often lead to very secure settings of the hook since the fish doesn´t take from behind, but grabs is from the side. Of course I´m talking about atlantic salmon here, for steelhead and other Pacific fish these flies would perhaps be useless.

Also since I want to fish this unweighted with a Loop double upside down (to avoid snags as much as possible) you need a short body and a long wing. Otherwise the hook will hang downwards form the fly, which leads to poor hooking and a not so enticing action of the fly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My good friend Mats fared well with this type of flies on a recent trip to the Dee and the Spey, guided by no other than Willie Gunn. 7 springers in three days!:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts