Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been working on my tying lately, especially head wrapping and keeping a more uniform head. Switched to Veevus 8/0 from 12/0 and it is much easier to get a nice even head. Flies all tied on #2 hooks. First up is a Chappie, followed by a Steelumbia #2, and finally a Jock Scott variation from Trey Combs' book. As always, comments and especially criticism welcome!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
good job taming the sword feathers. on heads 3 tight wraps will hold any thing after that it is wrapping for shape

ROCKY

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good job taming the sword feathers. on heads 3 tight wraps will hold any thing after that it is wrapping for shape

ROCKY
Thanks! The Jock Scott variant was my first time using sword fibers, man it was a pain. I eventually went to mounting them one by one and doing my best to flatten the stem so they rode right. Using 8/0 vs 12/0 has really made it easier to hold material and do a good head. The Chappie was still tied with 12/0, the other two were 8/0. I need to get some medium flat tinsel, I have large and small. The small isnt quite big enough to do a good tag in my opinion and the large tends to bind and fold on itself which is evident on the Steelumbia.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts