Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I don't often post but I have to say this is my favorite place to check out what friends and acquaintances are up to, and more importantly, to get inspiration to keep progressing. I also appreciate not only the passion for tying, but also the passion for actually swinging these creations. After a long break and a trip to the Far East I finally got down to tying some new bugs for Northwest steelhead and also getting some X-mas gifts done...here are a few I came up with - mostly based on classics but taking license to make subs where I don't have the proper materials. I'm also including a pair which shows an interesting comparison in hook size - the Alex Jackson size 1 spey hook vs a vintage English Partridge 4/0 Code N hook: they are almost identical in length, the Partridge being only about 1mm longer. Thanks for looking guys and props to all the great work being shown here.
PS - James, I tried to copy your Mint Eagle with the spey Dee - you're gonna have to show me how it's done proper!

Attachments

·
Internet Scientist
1,302 Posts
Awesome x5!

·
Undertaker
1,326 Posts
lovely flies

I very much like your ties. Exquisite? Yes, but wholly appropriate for fishing. The proportions are spot on, the dressings, while quite detailed, are sparse.:cool: And yes, the vintage Partridge hook appears to have been mislabled - no way that's a 4/0. I am wondering if the origin of hook sizes was wire diameter because the wire used on that hook is huge.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I salute your soldiers!

·
Registered
514 Posts
one tough company!!

Great looking flees. They'll hold the line for sure.:smokin:
Outstanding work here; enjoy your time fishing and giving them away.

Tom

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey dudes, thanks for the kind words. Mr Steelhead23, I'm pretty sure that the old Partridge is a real 4/0 - a sensei gifted me some sealed deadstock packs of these old hooks. I think you are right that part of the sizing was the wire diameter plus it's the standard salmon hook; the lighter wire summer hooks are a wee bit longer. I can't wait for winter steelhead - just a few weeks away now if we are lucky!

·
Registered
506 Posts
wow, great stuff!

The alec jackson hooks use a different scale.. I dont know where their sizing originated from but a 1.5 aj is bigger then a proper 3/0 hook. If you can find a vintage salmon fly scale you'll see what I mean. I guess you cant really say what sizing is correct but traditional sizing is much different.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Vince, you do it proper, my man. All good but I dig the 'Fancy and the pattern with the long pink flowing hackle (I forget the name of that fly).

Great offerings and is getting me motivated to tie on those Code N's.

Cheers,
Adrian

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
VERY nice! I'm glad you took the time to post these. Inspiring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers Fellas! Adrian - the March Murderer was actually prompted by one of your older posts - I just used some pink BEP I have instead of hackle as per the recipe to give it some spey spice. Let me know if you need some HEAVY vintage code Ns, I got gifted a pack of 4/0 and 5/0.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Vincent, those are really beautiful flies. You are a wonderful tier!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts