Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently gave someone at work a few flies, nicely framed in a shadow box, with a background of a picture I took of a favorite stream. He's an artist and a fisherman (not a fly guy, but hey, not all of us have seen the light)! I just figured he'd like the thought behind it, and appreciate the gift.

He's retiring now, opening up a local art gallery, and apparently liked it well enough, that he wants me to do more to display and even try to sell!

So, I present to you my first free-style practice fly. No body, obviously, only trying out some wing stuff and proportions. Even though this is going to be a free tie, I have already set it in my head that only ring-necked pheasant is allowed on it!!

Please comment on choice of hooks for something like this. This is an AJ 1.5, and I think I could make it work, but I'm sure there are better choices.

Thanks all,

-Bill

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Cool concept, who doesn't have loads of those feathers. My buddy Zach, who's on this board did the exact same thing your going to do. I forget his screen name or I'd say shoot him a pm. I'm sure you'll get plenty of ideas here.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Bill:

I really enjoy patterns that let the feathers do the talking. This minimalist style/dressing can already stand on it's own as a complete fly. Terrific proportions thus far and the possibilities to accessorize are endless

dave

·
Registered
997 Posts
Perfect as is Bill!

Would also love to see the same pattern on a silver hook with an olive head.
Or one with rump hackle/collar.
Or...... with only ringneck there are so many cool things that you could do!
I look forward to seeing more!

Very cool fly.
J.

·
Bamboo Warrior
16 Posts
I think a little blue and gold tag would look great with those feathers... it kinda reminds me of woodwork so thinking of colors that look nice with wood

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Bill:

I really enjoy patterns that let the feathers do the talking. This minimalist style/dressing can already stand on it's own as a complete fly. Terrific proportions thus far and the possibilities to accessorize are endless

dave
Yup! What Dave said.

Cheers.

And that latest fly compliments the gold hook so nicely.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So this is where I am with this. Well, for now, at least...

I tried a few different bodies, trying to bring out the amazing colors on this bird. Multiple ribs of floss and tinsels, changing colors within each aspect, adding a little veil underneath. Trying some tails, as well. Too much took away from what I had already.

I kept on coming back to the minimalistic look of the original post, as it really let the "feathers speak for themselves", as Dave so graciously pointed out, and a few of you concurred on.

This is a photo (not the greatest) of a body experiment hook, lying on top of the original practice tie (with some modifications). I think I'm getting to where this fly wants to be...

Thanks for sharing in this venture!

-Bill

1 - 14 of 14 Posts