Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy my first Spey rod. It will be used with floating lines only and wet flies from sizes 4 through 12, as well as Bombers. I am considering the Sage 6126-3, Sage 7136-4, and the Lamiglass LS1256-4. I plan to use the rod on the Miramichi in New Brunswick.

I know I should try them before I make up my mind, but don't know how to spey cast, so that is really not an option.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
267 Posts
NewSpey

I cant tell you much about the Lamiglass as I have never tried one. But you cant go wrong with the Sage rods. I have tried both and I think the 6wt is a little light depending on the rivers that you will be fishing. The 7136 though is awesome. Cant tell you how much I love this rod. Will work great in almost any conditions with a good floating line and believe it or not you can put the 10' Poly-leaders on this thing and it will be fine. Not a great rod for large flies and heavy or long sink tips. I hope this helps. Good Luck and
Tight Lines!:D

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Lamiglass LS-1256-4

Smolt, A member here on the forum (peter-s-c) has the Lamiglass you mention and the last time I talked with him he was madly in love with it. If he doesn't see your post and comment you could send him a private message.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Lamiglas LS 1256

I have been using a Lamiglass LS1256 for 2 seasons for the summer runs on the Deschutes, Snake and other rivers. Four of my fishing buddies have them also. We all fish dries, wets with the rod and get our share of the fish. The rod has a lot of good features, 4pc, lite, ect. and price.
As for lines a DT7 works, 5/6 wind cutter, and a 350 grain shooting head.
Leroy...............

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Smolt,

The first thing you need to do is decide whether you like slow, medium, or fast action rods, then buy one accordingly. 2-handers are just like single handers, if you like a fast rod, you will probably like a faster 2-hander.

The Sage rods you mentioned, especially the 7136 are slow rods. The Lamiglas is also on the slow side of the spectrum. If this is what you like, you may want to investigate the Loommis GL3 14 foot 8/9, or the Orvis 2-handers.

You might also want to take a look at the ST. Crois 13 foot 7/8. It is faster that the Sages and the Lamigals you mentioned, and it is far cheaper. You should chelck out the $250.00 Redingtons if you like a faster rod. They are very nice, cast well and like the ST. Crois will serve a new spey caster for many years to come. Powell also makes a very nice 2-hander in the lighter line weight.

If you like faster rods, you should look at the T&T 1307, 1309, 1409, or 1208. Scott makes some very finde faster 2-handers as well, as is the mosre expensive Redington 13 foor 8/9 and Loomis GLX 13 foot 8/9. Loop also makes some fine 2-handers, but they may not be easy to find.

The key is till to decide whether you want a slow, medium or fast 2-hander, then buy aordingly. Otherwise you will not be happy with the rod after a yeaqr or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts