Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...by putting about six feet of front taper from an old discarded 10 w floating shooting head in front of tip 2 on my Windcutter, using braided loop connections.

As I´ve mentioned I think that the WC doesn´t work on my 15 footer with tip 2 (the middle, heavy tip) taken out, since it gets too light. And if you just leave tip 2 and take out tip 1 it gets really splashy and uncomfortable. Funnily enough, this wee bit of front taper added to tip 2 really does the trick. I only lose about 5 grams compared to the full WC and I´m down at apr 13 meters. Cast like butter. Sure, still a bit violent but unless you apply too much power the presentation is great.

finally I can fish my 15 footer in all those tight spots as well, wihtout having to shell out for a new line. :)

Anybody else who´ve tried this?

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
OT..I wish I could speak Swedish

It never ceases to amaze me how good your english is. I'm serious, for a non-native speaker (I assume) you've really got it. We should ALL know another language as well as you know english.

I don't even speak english as well as you. And I'm sure I don't speycast as well as you either :chuckle:

Sorry for the off topic...

BEst-

Joe W

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:eek: That´s very kind, Joe!

Went to Australia for six months after high school and took a Cambridge Proficiency Certificate ( :devil: those were the days...) and I´ve been studying on and off at Lund uni here in Sweden for about six years, where the major part of the course litterature is in English. Then, like everybody else I´m bombarded daily by English speaking music, movies ( I love American movies from the late ´60:s/early ´70:s and stuff like Neil Young, Bob Dylan etc), TV shows, news channels, the internet etc... In a globalized world it´s pretty hard to avoid soaking up some English.

My speycasting is like my German/French ... really good some days and then sucky as hell on others :hehe:

·
Damn fish ladder
199 Posts
The Use of "Sucky"

AMAZING yet again. The proper use of the word "sucky!"

Seriously, as an American I figure I should learn some Suedoise, also.

Skol?

Lutefisk?

Dill?

Crayfish?

Ah, I know... Salmon (lachs?)

Anyway...cheers and your abilities are appreciated by at least one member of this community :)

Joe

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The Use of "Sucky"

brooklynangler said:

Skol?

Lutefisk?

Dill?

Crayfish?

Ah, I know... Salmon (lachs?)

Joe
There you go! You´re halfways to knowing essential Swedish :)

Just a few (kind) remarks:
crayfish = kräfta (we eat them in August, along with ´snaps`= a shot of vodka, pure or flavored... a highlight of the year)
´Lachs´ is actually German, but the Swedish word is similar - Lax.

Other useful words: öl (beer), snus (smokeless tobacco), spö (rod), älv (river), fluga (fly). ;)

This is getting seriously off-topic!

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
good plan

fredtrout, i think your idea is a fine one. actualy making the WC more versatile yet, covering multiple rods if need be with the same line.

i agree with your observation of the WC "becoming splashy" with tip one removed. for me, it served the purpose of sizing up a diff rod to see what grn weight it might like. not many loaner/demo lines floating about in this neighborhood.

on the side topic: i recognise the word "snus" from friends & family in our upper penninsula of michigan. i often hear stocking caps refered to as a "chuk" (chook) any idea on that one? SG

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the WC is now *complete*. It´s a fantastic system and this little bit of front taper makes it ideal for tight spots. (You don´t seem to have many tighs spots along your North American rivers? I rarely read about that problem on the forum. I often fish spots where I have the shore more or less directly at my back. That calls for shorter bellies.)

Hmmmm, got no idea what ´chuk´or ´chook´might be... Might be the Swedish word ´snus´ that has become distorted over the years since the immigrants arrived to the US. :)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Tight spots

Those are what originally got me interested in the 2-handed rod and, yes, we do have them in the US. In the PNW there are some very open rivers, but even these have some tight spots (Clearwater for example) that make the spey cast essential. One of my favorite runs has a high bank with brush and trees close behind you and waist deep water right off the bank. You really need a 2-handed rod and spey casting to do it justice.

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
fredtrout, here in my corner the great lakes region large, broad, brawling rivers are actualy in short supply. even on the ones we have it often seems that room for a backcast or d-loop is always on the short side. many runs have trees, overhanging limbs, and line grabbing understory up to and over the river surface. wading out and away from this is often impossible. much like t_richerzhagen, this is what originaly began my interest spey casting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts