Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
SRO Direct Dealer
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CND Solstice 16' 1" 7/8 rod I won in the auction arrived Monday thanks to Lee and Nancy Davison's excellent service. Today was the first time I had the opportunity to cast the rod. It is one sweet stick with a Carron 10/11 75' head. For distance casting the Carron 85' head really loads the rod to the cork and goes further, but for fishing the 75' head will be a joy to fish all day.

Thanks to Nuburo, Lee and Nancy for providing such a fine rod for the auction.

Rich

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,533 Posts
I agree the 75' Carron is a good match and what I have been using on mine. But on Tuesday I fished the 16'1" with the 9/10 CND Gravity Point line. Simply awesome!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rich,

Congratulations on aquiring a great rod! Nobuo feels that the 16'1" Solstice may be the best rod he has designed. And 'tip is right - the CND GPS 9/10 line is a rocket on that set-up.

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
OT, if you gents allow, but for me it sounds rather strange that you are talking about a rod, rated 7/8, and the lines that are perfect matches are 10/11 and 9/10?:Eyecrazy:

And do not get me wrong, I do not mean that the statements about the lines would be incorrect, just the range of numbers stick into the eye.

Obviously we have come a long way towards a standard system for rating doublehanders and speylines :chuckle:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The rod is actually rated an 9/10 and not a 7/8. Carron lines are rated to aftma standards and in spey stadards the line rates at a 9/10.

So a CND 9/10 and carron 9/10 on a 9/10 rod. It works out but the there is always going to be the UK ratings which will always be a line size heavier than what north americans would rate them.

-sean

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
I am actually relieved to hear that the rod is a 9/10 rather that 7/8, that clears the scene a lot. On a second thought, it would have been rather scitsofrenic that a CND 7/8 rod would be best lined with a CND 9/10 line... Highly unlikely, taken into account that both have been designed by the same person.

What I don´t understand is, that the Carron would be AFTMA-rated? Do you mean that the first 30 ft of the line weights 280-330 grains (10/11 wt), or something else? IMHO there shouldn't be any UK-ratings and US-ratings, just Speyline-ratings.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
New Spey Line Standards

I think Sean is refering to the new standards for spey lines. Tables do not copy so well to the Board. I have a Word version for anyone who is interested.

New Spey Line Standards
September, 16, 2004

Bruce Richards of Scientific Anglers introduced the first American standard for Spey lines at the annual general meeting of the American Fly Fishing Trade Association. The new standards were unanimously approved by the board at the September 15 meeting in Denver Colorado.

The new standards presented by Richards were developed after extensive consultation with Spey experts associated with various manufacturers including Jim Vincent and Simon Gawesworth of Rio Products and others.

The adoption of the new standard will not require any product recall or repackaging. The manufacturers agreed to integrate the new standards as they produce new product and packaging. Richards expects most Spey lines sold in the U.S. to adhere to the new standard within two years. Rod manufacturers are expected to begin labelling their rods according to the line standards as well.

The new standard describes four different line designs (shooting head, short belly, medium belly, and long belly) which will be identified by the letters H, S, M, and L respectively. Each line category has a different allowable grain weight over a given length of line. For instance, a line advertised as a 9-weight shooting head would have a grain weight of 430 (28 grams) in the first 40 feet. A long belly 9-weight would have 780 grains (51 grams) in the first 80 feet. The new standards will have a +/- tolerance value, but those levels have not yet been determined.

Spey Line Standards

Shooting Head
Head length 30'-50'
measured at 40' Short Belly
Head length 50'-60'
measured at 55' Medium Belly
Head length 60'-70'
measured at 65' Long Belly
Head length 60'-70'
measured at 80'
Line Weight grains/grams grains/grams grains/grams grains/grams

6 250/16.2 420/27.3 460/29.9 600/39
7 300/19.5 470/30.5 510/33.1 650/42.2
8 360/23.4 530/34.4 570/37 710/46.1
9 430/27.9 600/39 640/41.6 780/50.6
10 510/33.1 680/44.2 720/46.8 860/55.8
11 600/39 770/50 810/52.6 950/61.7
12 700/45.5 870/56.5 910/59.1 1050/68.2

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yes the UK lines like the carron, partridge, hardy, snowbee all use the standard aftma ratings for single hand rods. The first 30 feet. As far as I know they have not changed to the new line standards.

The new CND lines as well most other US companies have conformed to the spey line standards set up by what I think was mainly US companies so no wonder the UK folks are not using them....

So after all the hoopla there are still no standards :(

-sean

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Andy Murray from Hardy was participating the Denver convention, so Hardy is conforming to SpeyStandard to the best of my knowledge. I may be wrong, but I believe that all the other lines (Carron, Partridge, Snowbee) come from same factory? I think they should conform to the Standard as well.

PS. This all was not actually not very big news to me (As can be seen from my homepage) http://www.kolumbus.fi/sauli.liukkonen/

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah I could be very well wrong and hardy may have changed up from the last time I cast their lines. Mike at the redshed could confirm.

I do know snowbee does not nor does carron. They are rated heavy but I will say UK rods like the snowbees are also rated heavier than the american counterparts. For example the 10/11 snowbee rod is really a 9/10 if you are trying to choose a rio or sa line for it.

So it is all screwed up and why we need a site like the speypages and its members to help us sort it all out. I will say it si a little easier than 5 years ago so maybe in another 5 it will get even better.

I like your calculator!

-sean

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Could be for the Snowbee rods, but at least B&W:s, which I have experience from, are IMHO quite well rated. E.g. 10/11 15 ft Norway is really a 10/11 rod, and very powerful one indeed. I have no experience on the new Rio or SA lines, but the old 8/9 GS and 8/9 XLT fit to it quite well (ok, slightly heavy when you have the whole head out). I think those lines are nowadays called 10/11:s or something similar.

Yes, we need still some time to sort things out. But it surely would help, if all were talking about apples. No matter in which country they were picked at :p

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
I got to cast a 16ft1 solstice at K-man's shindig this march and I think it's the best CND rod yet,great choice,as for the Carron,a 9/10 85 footer could be nice also but then I like to underline most CND's.The 9/10 gravity point did cast great on that rod but was a tad heavy for me.

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
I was under the impression that the 9/10 weight's could be had for the 65',75' and 85,Aaron set me straight today,but what if?
I got to cast the prize today and was ready to beat feet but sound mind prevailed:hihi:

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Yeah but the 9/10 65' head is really an 8wt line and the 10/11s are really better 9wt lines. Confusing but at least they are kick butt lines so you get over that aspect pretty quick :)

-sean

·
Speyngineer
167 Posts
Yes, ofcourse IF you happen to be online with these pages, and get the word. If not, then the kick will be towards your rear part, where the wallet usually is :p

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
Casting speylines IS throwing money into the wind,with a Carron you can throw more at once.:hihi:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts