Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Meiser rods with Saracione and Bauer reels
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple of big days swinging soft hackles. I can’t think of a more fun way to catch trout. I was using the #4 rio trout Spey. I’ve got to say I’m loving this line! I had two 20+ fish days, though not a lot of big fish, it was a hoot! I also caught some pretty cutthroats.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Softies are so cool! I've been a believer ever since the first Syl Nemes soft hackle book came out in, I think, 1975. We became partridge hackle disciples after finding they just totally fooled trout during the prolific caddis emergences on our home river. They also do a great job imitating swimming mayflies and just look buggy. Swinging 'em on a 2 hander is just added fun. Met Sylvester at the San Mateo Expo show many years ago and he gave me a half dozen tiny soft hackles. Still have them. Thanks Syl.

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
The Partridge and Orange and Partridge and Yellow have been good to me. Lately my hot fly has been a weightless soft hackle pheasant tail. So simple.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I very rarely use anything else but softhackles for trout, unless I'm swinging or fleeing a streamer.
Syl's patterns are gold, as are his books !!
Have a look at the patterns of Poly Roseborough, in particular the Casual Dress.

Mike

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on fly patterns. Always looking for new patterns.

·
Hacker
590 Posts
I love soft hackles. Just finished reading the 2nd edition of Dave Hughes book on wets and soft hackles and learned a few new tricks.

·
Registered
466 Posts
i fish soft hackles drifted and then swung . so simple and therefore possessing a certain beauty . trout , steelies and smb have all signaled their approval . plus it takes like 5 minutes to tie one up . (-:
thanks , jim

·
Registered
912 Posts
Agree with all of the above. Probably 70% of my trout fishing is with a softy or something very similar.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Woody,

This is only the way I typically do things and others may have alternative ideas. No right or wrongs. That said, this is how I often setup. Point fly 18" to 30" from the dropper (mostly about 24" unless I'm dealing with atypical circumstances). I like to keep droppers fairly short, say in the 6" to 8" range as I'll tend to get more tangles with a longer dropper. Often I'll just palomar knot an 18" to 24" tag off the bend of the hook for a trailing fly. Less tangles and setup time that way (read LAZY). Things can get pretty messy in a net with a long dropper. Dave Hughes "Wet Flies" 2nd Ed. is a great resource as is the on-line blog Soft Hackle Journal (SHJ). Just the flies presented in the SHJ is worth the time, and Steve is a wonderful writer. Should be mandatory reading for anyone even remotely interested in the topic.

SOFT~HACKLE JOURNAL

·
Registered
37 Posts
Tom,
I have viewed the SHJ and been inspired by some of the flies and I will try and track down "Wet Flies" locally.

I agree it is the easiest method to attach a second fly (trailing) off the bend of the first fly but have experienced slightly less hook sets using this method. Not sure if the tippet on the hook bend pushes the fly out of the fishes mouth when the fish takes the first fly.

I will try the 8" dropper method initially and gauge results v tangles.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
A question for you soft hackle pros.
When swinging two soft hackles, how far apart do you have the dropper from the point fly, and how long is the dropper.
45cn or 18 inches, and use a slow soft loop to cast when handling a long spey cast, but 20cm when dealing with a close in 3 fly leader, which is closer to a nymph rig.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What about for the closer fall or early winter months. Do the soft hackles still work for you guys or do you end up fishing heavier streamers?

·
Registered
912 Posts
Stravic,

Yes on both counts. I tend to use streamers and soft hackles year round on my home river. Both work great. Caught an absolute pig of a rainbow this past Sunday on the brown/orange soft hackle in the picture. Only about 19" long but truly built like a football!

Now if you really want to get high tech try tying on a streamer, big and noticeable, and run a soft hackle off the bend about 18" below. Hmmmmmmm, did I just divulge one of my secrets?

Attachments

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Those are killer Tom! I run about 18” or shorter for a second softie. I mostly just fish one or a streamer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Those are sweet. Good idea with the trailing soft hackle. I typically use a tippet ring with a soft hackle and streamer off of it, different lengths of course

·
It's gonna happen.
380 Posts
Posted a few of these over on the Summer Trout Spey thread but thought I'd share them here, too. These have been my go-to bugs lately and producing some big fish, too. The soft hackle pheasant tail with various thorax colors is a constant, as is the dubbed hares ear version. I recently turned a popular Missoula dry fly pattern, the Brindlechute into a soft hackle (orange/olive) and I've taken a few good fish on it. The October caddis has been working, too. My favorite now though is the Red Quill Spider in #12 for the mahogany duns we have hatching through the fall.

Attachments

·
newcomer to spey casting
217 Posts
Beautiful soft hackles, a gorgeous fish taken with wet fly technique on a cool two hander inspire me to keep at this, practicing my casting and tying and reading the water. You show what having the art of trout Spey wet fly fishing at your command looks like! Impressive and gorgeous, the results are spectacular. Thanks for the glimpse at the other end of the learning curve...

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts