Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Program of events for 2020 Muskegon River Spey Clave, 10/3/2020

Single to Switch to Spey - all in a day!
In addition to the following we want to try to be responsive to what people want. We can do breakout sessions on casting or line selection for example. As always we want to provide advice on casting to match all skill levels between speakers.
There will be door prizes raffles at the conclusion of the festivities and in keeping with tradition there will be an informal casting clinic the following morning (Sunday the 4th) at the boat ramp.

Program
9:30 welcome and opening remarks

10:00 Single Hand Spey with
Ken Shabby Sage Elite Pro Staff

11:00 Fishing the Swing.
Jeff Liskay Patagonia Ambassador, Owner/Operator Great Lakes Fly Fishing, Pro Staff: Scientific Anglers, Scott Fly Rods

12:00 lunch break BYO

12:30 Trout Spey
Kim Benbow Orvis Casting Instructor

1:30 Spey Casting from a boat
Ken Shabby

2:30 Long belly lines - casting and fishing Adam Senica Owner/Operator Flyworks Spey. Pro staff: Bruce & Walker, Team Nextcast.

3:30 concluding remarks and raffle drawing

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rather than just the bells and whistles and shiny new gear, this event will be very much angler-focused. Our goal going forward is to focus on developing the skills and experience of Great Lakes Spey fishing. Ultimately we want to recruit more anglers to include Spey and swinging flies into their fishing techniques. Having said that, I think we will have a broad representation of ProStaff from the industry there presenting and instructing.
We will have new season rods for trial from, Sage, Reddington, Echo, Orvis, Bruce and Walker, Scott Fly Rods as well as Scientific Anglers, Airflo, and Rio lines. Presently we are supported by the Muskegon River fly shop and Orvis.
We will be having a swap meet after the conclusion of the festivities so bring your unused gear.
Cheers,
Kim

·
newcomer to spey casting
465 Posts
If I get time away from work, I'll be there to hear Jeff Liskay. Besides being one of the "fishiest" guys I will ever meet, he is an amazingly gifted, humble and generous teacher with deep and detailed knowledge of Great Lakes fishing of all types who truly understands the ins and outs of two handed casting and fishing. A lesson with him had an amazing effect: suddenly all my rods were much, much better than I had realized.... Funny how that works! He helped me find my "authentic swing" to borrow a line from a movie. You might say Jeff Liskay is the "Bagger Vance" of spey casting. Sounds like a cool program, not to be missed. I'm hoping to be able to get away from work to make the trip up from Ohio.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts