Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guy here is a variation i tied of a jock scott with high winter flows in mind. i remembered aaron posted a vintage jock scott on a other forum with a hurl wing. i got some blue heron hooks the other day to give them a proper go at them ( only tied on 5) this one is a size 1. i used 2 different subs for IC and sub for the toucan. the tail i tied one sub good side facing down then the crest then one more IC little longer then the bottom one. ( there was a vintage popham shown on a other forum that had the tail tied like this.) i used heron for the hackle thought more movement wouldnt hurt for high flows. (what you guys think long or short hackle for high water?) there is 2 topping on the fly. head need 2-3 more coats of varnish, i like the hooks but dont think for full dress they fit to well. sorry for horrible picture really doesnt do it justice at all ill re post a pict of it when sun shines

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,146 Posts
Kevin , I really like this variation !!
You definitely put a lot of thought into the construction of this fly , taking into consideration movement , colour and profile for the planned water you intend to fish ... well played lad :smokin:
After fishing Snow Fly variations for the past few seasons , I have extreme confidence with herl wings :smokin:

Really nice work Kevin :)

Mike

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Nice fly. It looks a killer for winter. I haven't found too many a classy pattern which this spey hook can not accommodate well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I tied this one myself right after Aaron posted the picture last winter....As luck would have it, there as snow the night i tied it and i snapped a nice image...

Fly looks great, especially with the topping, which i omitted...

Agree about these hooks for classic victorian flies, but somehow, I think this one fits, with the big herl wing!!

Eunan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts