Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning a friend let me lawn cast his Snowbee XS-P 14'-9/10 spey rod coupled with a Snowbee D 2 (62') line. For me this was one of the nicest casting rod/line combos I've tried in a while. The rod weighed 11.1oz, had a great looking down lock reel seat, high quality guides, tip over butt ferrules, and great looking cork. If any of you guys get a chance I recommend giving this rod/line setup a try.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
The Spey Pages team have been playing with a Snowbee setup for the last few months. We put it through its paces on a number of rivers and I believe there was even a fish or two hooked on it. Look for Dana's review coming very soon!

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
The 1510 is my favorite rod right now. I love that thing. Nice fast rod that can handle short to long lines without a problem. If you like fast rods these are ones you should check out.

Dana I want it back :)

-sean

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Sean...

Dana I want it back
I know what you mean. I probably could have kept that Snowbee outfit here for a few days if I would have whined a little. In hindsight I now wish that I had. It was an awesome combination for me. I am really looking forward to Dana's review.

·
Registered
124 Posts
speyman said:
I have the 13' 8/9.
It is available for test drives by any and all.
Email [email protected] if you want a turn.
Hi, which line do you use on it? I didn't like the shortest Snowbee line on it, but tried something a little bit heavier. This same conclusion was reached by others who tried the rod without my having said anything. On the other hand, I tried the 14' rod with the appropriate Snowbee line and liked that as a perfect match.

Regards
Steven

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Heavier is better

I have been using line weighing about 650 grains and I like the feel at that weight. The Snowbee 9/10 stuff is pretty close.

I find it a delightful rod with a 600 grain shooting head of about 10 meters.

·
Banned
28 Posts
baldmountain said:
Really? I wouldn't mind giving it a try. Keep in mind you'll be getting the perspective of a complete neophyte. I'll send an email...

Remember he is a snowbee dealer, so good manners would dictate that you only try it out if you are thinking of buying it (from HIM!! trying it out and then going on the internet to buy it would be very bad manners). :tsk_tsk:

·
Registered
202 Posts
CalSpey said:
Remember he is a snowbee dealer, so good manners would dictate that you only try it out if you are thinking of buying it (from HIM!! trying it out and then going on the internet to buy it would be very bad manners). :tsk_tsk:
People do that?!?!?! How rude!

I talked with Jack through emails and decided that it would be better for me to learn to cast before trying any more rods.

·
Banned
28 Posts
In some cases it is not rude....

baldmountain said:
People do that?!?!?! How rude!

I talked with Jack through emails and decided that it would be better for me to learn to cast before trying any more rods.
In some cases the product be offered for trial is not offered by a seller but by the maker, and the trial is to get feedback. Since you are new I figured you might not of Known Jack is a dealer. Its all good, if you had tried it out because you didnt know no one would of jumped on your case

·
Registered
55 Posts
having won the snowbee XS-P 14 9/10 in the recent auction, i figured i owed the spey pages a review. this is a nice rod to look at and it casts well too, although i have probably put it to uses that were not those for which it was specifically designed. as indicated in my profile, i had an accident a couple of years ago and lost most of my right hand. my left handed casting was inefffectual and i became a double handed rod user because i really had no choice. those of you who fish for anadramous fish in cold water probably think i am commiting fly fishing heresy for using a spey rod in tropical saltwaters but it lets me fish.
anyhow,when i got the snowbee i followed my normal practice of using it with a regular weight forward line and i overlined it rather severely. you should understand that there are damned few spey users in south texas and that none of the fly shops stock spey lines.(i did mail order a spey line but it turned to spaghetti almost immediately) the snowbee performed pretty well with a wf 12 but the wf11 was much better and i have no trouble casting 80 to 85 feet, which is more than sufficient. yesterday, i was casting into a northerly breeze(courtesy of hurricane katrina) with little effort and even picked up a couple of speckled trout and a nice redfish.
the rod has a rather different action from the thomas and thomas and tfo rods i normally use. it is, i think, a pretty fast action rod but the whole rod flexes rather more than i expected. i guess this would be called a progressive action but it worked well once i got the hang of it. i am not quite ready to try this rod on tarpon off the boca chica jetties but it should be suitable. i imagine that bowing to a tarpon with a 14 footer will be an experience. if i can get one of the snowbee 2 or 3D lines it should also be suitable for the bull redfish migration in october or november. who knows i may even learn to spey cast. anyhow, i like this rod and hopefully will be able to try some other sticks in the snowbee line.
jack

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Jack Keller...

Thank you for the report on the Snowbee rod. It is appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts