Spey Pages banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

Apologies, I have posted this message by mistake on the 'Rods' forum.

Hi,

I am new here and new to Spey Casting and so please forgive me if I ask some dumb questions.....

There is a strech of water that I fish that is very overgrown on the left bank, and it is this side of the river that I follow down.

All of the text that I have read about Snake Rolls say that if you are on the left bank you have your left hand uppermost, spiral in an anti-clockwise direction and cast from your left shoulder. This is not possible for the reasons given above and so this is my question; can you fish from the left bank with a snake roll from your right shoulder? If not what is the best cast for these circumstances?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Ray

There are a couple of casts that are better than the snake when you are on the left bank with obstructions. You can work the snake by changing the placement, but some others come more naturally for me.
Some options:
1. Single spey with right hand up. It is a great cast unless you have a downstream wind.
2. Spiral Single. You begin like you would with a spiral to arealize the line then come around into the single spey.
3. Perry poke.

If you have a downstream wind in that situation, the three casts listed put you in danger of "body piercing." You can usually modify the single by placing the anchor farther out into the river away from your body. Derek Brown calls it a "cut cast."

·
cast,mend,stumble,swear..
194 Posts
no wind/upstream wind....

snap-t or circle spey. Downstream wind, double spey or snake roll... btw, on river left, the snake roll motion is a clockwise motion, not counter clockwise, and if you're typically a right hand top caster, you can cast this off your off hand shoulder. Rotate your body facing mostly down stream, and go through the motion with your rod across your body, again, a clockwise motion... There's also a "double" perry poke that some of the folks have mentioned. sets up almost like a double spey, but then dump and poke off the down stream shoulder... Dana i think can help with that one...

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Direction for Spiral/Snake

Simon G talks about drawing an "egg" with the rod tip. When you draw it in the cast you want the bottom of the egg to be toward the bank (clockwise on the left bank, and anticlockwise on the right)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that everyone, good advice.

I realised that I got the direction wrong after I posted.

The other thing that makes this stretch difficult is that it's almost, impossible to get your rod more than about 50 degrees in the air because of the trees. It's a good stretch of water though and some good fish have been taken in it; I got 14 3/4 pounder in there last year.

Thanks again for all of the advice.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Hairofthedog,

The length of the rod and the type of head you are using will be important in dealing with your water. It sounds to me that a shorter rod - 13'-ish with a short belly line would be the answer.

The short rod speaks for itself - it will fit under the trees. The short belly line will make it easier to set-up casts due to the smaller d-loop produced. In constricted spaces such as you describe the compact size and motions of a so-called '"Skagit system" are made to order.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts