Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody give me a clue on the amount of time one should expect to recieve a package from england,been two weeks waiting ,what options are available as in UPS,FEDEX,etc,also read somewhere that UPS limits package lenghts to 36 inches!!!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Air mail. or surface mail? was it the post office or another carrier. Have you a tracking number?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
surface mail?

That would have to be by ship. Like in slow boat to/from China?:whoa: I don't think so. It would have to come across the pond by air. I ordered some Vac Racs from the UK and it seems to me that it took less than two weeks. So you should have your stuff by now. If not, I would advise you follow up on the whereabouts of your order.

BTW: where on the Rogue are you? And since you are concerned about "over 36" lg" you must have ordered a rod. You trying to compete with Fred?:hehe:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
886 Posts
Re: surface mail?

JDJones said:
That would have to be by ship.

><///('>
JD
If it was submarine it would have been subsrface mail.
Are the Vacs Racs OK? How fast have you tested them to?

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Vac Racs

Well,,,,, I've had the Vac Racs up to short bursts of 80 mph while passing an 18 wheeler. Although I have to admit I had the moon roof open and my hand on the rods,,,just in case.

They have come loose several times, at rather slow speeds even. Scuffed up the butt cap on my prized 8150 and the lip of the suction cup.

I thought the unit was wasted as it would no longer hold a vacuum for any length of time.

A little experimenting and some Yankee enginuity and I think I am back in business. Traded posts so that the undamaged cup is on the front post that mounts on the hood and holds the butt end of the rods. Make sure mounting surfaces are clean. And then, what I think is the real key, slobber the surface of the cups with a little soft soap. This seems to result in a much better seal.

My confidence is not completely restored yet. Which is why I am driving around with the roof open.:rolleyes: Hopefully by the time the rains come I'll be able to close the roof. Meanwhile, I am checking into the possiblities of obtaining a new cup, or converting the hood unit to magnetic. Will keep you posted.

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hammer,
I've received several parcels from Europe lately. I've received several via air mail from the UK and had them in my hands here in Alaska in only 8 to 12 days. Same thing with parcels from from Germany.

Surface mail is another story. That takes upwards of 8 weeks but being in Alaska really slows that down... the mail barge leaves Seattle only once a week. I guess you'd see it down there in upwards of 6 weeks or so via surface mail.

I've no idea on private couriers but would expect them to be on par or slightly faster then the public postal services.

pescaphile

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
One of the minor beauties of having an old

Ford Explorer is the roof racks. My "rod holders" are a couple of short bungie cords that have a 1.5" plastic knob (so you've got a circle about 6-8 inch around.

Bungie goes 'round the roof rack, round the rod (or butt section) and cost 89 cents each. Not a peep even at 80 mph. Because of rod length (speys) the tips are sticking out over the wind sheld but track in the wind like a Tiger. Only exception to this (as Jimmie noted above) is going buy/getting passed by a simi-truck and trailer.

The wind created by the 'box' will whip the tips around. So pass, or fall back asap.
fae

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought a rod from John Norris of Penrith (Wales) on a Monday and it arrived to my door in BC on a Friday--that was airmail.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Bebop, Penrith is in England rather than Wales but what the heck Scotland is the country that realy counts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Aaaah! Malcom, did you have to go and show up my abysmal ignorance of geography.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Don't worry about telling these mickey mouse countries apart as long as you rember Scotland is the top country in the UK

·
Registered
200 Posts
Trouble is, I should know better--I'm from the one on the left, home of a better class of whisky (note the spelling).

·
JD
3,609 Posts
Whisky,,,Ahhhh, now we'll have to start a new thread

Trouble is, I should know better--I'm from the one on the left, home of a better class of whisky

Why is it then that if the Irish discovered/developed the process of making whisky, They never really got it right? As did the folks on the Isle of Islay. :razz:

><///('>
JD

·
Registered
200 Posts
The only thing better than Bush Black Label is mother milk, or perhaps a well drawn pint of Guiness from Mooney's Pub.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gentleman, i'm sure not willing to go into a discusion on spirits, since i'm a commoner tradesman,so,as to the post about delivery times,recieved notice this morn.late ,can't get to the rod till mon.and yes J.D.i'm buying rods from u.k.,i can't get over what's available over there for such reasonable prices,getting quite tired of every time i call a shop it's always sell the HI-END,,,,know what i'm saying, i pretty much know what i'm looking for when i go in or call,i was a motorcycle nut for years, and it was the same thing,looking for tippet x,,or tire,,,,well we're using,,,,,?,,,now i've found a hobby,and a site that gives me what my mind needs:how many bikes can you ride at one time ,how many rods can you hold,well,if you never get to compare,challenge oneself,try them,to simplefy,,yeah simplefly,,,,i like that!,, anyhoo,sure seems like the anglish are nice to deal with,and i intend to do more,all i know about my shipment is i hate the wait,guess i'm just an american ;want to make it happen!!!apreciate the response!!!:D

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh yes, peter, since i've got you on this thread ,have a gentleman with quite a selection of dawas,,some are obsolete models , but new,and have been to summerlands,daiwa etc.etc.,,,been kind of chasing these for months,it's a hobby!can not seem to get any kind of comparison,and all the different models,,any magazine reviews etc. ???,how would one find out? can you help???

J

·
0 Posts
Depending upon the country of origin, air mail should take about a week. Surface, as noted above, will take more than a month. UPS, Fed-Ex, and DHL are the other major shippers internationally. I use DHL as almost everything gets there (or here) in two days. I shipped to the Ukraine once with DHL, and that took three days. Frankly, UPS has become such a mess I don't use them anymore. Fed-Ex is more expensive, but a far more reliable company and better to deal with when there is a problem. However, for international shipping DHL is still the way to go if you need it there fast.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts