Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I is a School of Hi Grad
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering about the Smooth Operator rods from Nextcast.

My hope is that they are designed for and work well with longer lines.

Anyone have details on the product, graphite type/blend, who made the guides, who makes the blanks etc etc.

Anyone cast and/or fish them?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I've been wondering and asking the same as well. Doesn't seem like anyone uses them?

I'm going out on a limb here but I'm pretty sure they're designed to cast long bellies, especially the 15' models. With a described deep load they would be good for the longer lines.

I'm assuming these are just toned down versions of their tournament rods.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Smooth

Yeah they kick ass and are fun to toss, i have the 15' and tried a hand full of lines Fall fave's of course, carron 65' 8/9, gaelforce 63' 8/9, Vector XL 8/9 & 9/10, Delta long 8/9 & 9/10. For me any thing around 65' in the 750 neighborhood was nice for the longer stuff. They will also work with shorter stuff, if you look on the site Simon has everything except the 35' heads listed under the 15 smooth operator

·
I is a School of Hi Grad
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much Chief, I realize this is a subjective question; but is it a "heavy" rod or not?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the 15' 8/9 too. I've tried the same lines as chief_n8dub, but I've tried 9/10(Carron, GPS & Vector XL)lines on it too. I agree that 750 is a good starting point, and I'm curious as how a 9/10(790 gr) Fall Favorite would do on this rod.

Does it feel "heavy". Hard for me to say, as this is the biggest rod I currently own. In my opinion it doesn't feel overly heavy, and it's very easy/fun casting.

Only things I can say about the hardware is the reel seat is a downlocking Alps. Blank is unsanded, which I like a lot. I have no idea the maker of the blank, or it's composition.

briansII

·
I is a School of Hi Grad
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was wondering how you would describe the "fit and finish" and general workmanship. The Nextcast web site doesn't show or tell much; so wondering is it built like a $300 rod or is it built like a $700 rod?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I know swing weight is most important and reel choice makes a difference but what's the absolute weight of the rod?

Some current 15' rods are sub 9oz.

My BW Powerlites are 13oz and above!

I have the 15' 8/9 too. I've tried the same lines as chief_n8dub, but I've tried 9/10(Carron, GPS & Vector XL)lines on it too. I agree that 750 is a good starting point, and I'm curious as how a 9/10(790 gr) Fall Favorite would do on this rod.

Does it feel "heavy". Hard for me to say, as this is the biggest rod I currently own. In my opinion it doesn't feel overly heavy, and it's very easy/fun casting.

Only things I can say about the hardware is the reel seat is a downlocking Alps. Blank is unsanded, which I like a lot. I have no idea the maker of the blank, or it's composition.

briansII

·
Premium Member
Meiser, T&T, and OPST two handers; Scott, Orvis, & Winston SH. Danielsson and Hardy Reels
1,059 Posts
Check Poppy's site (The store, not the forum)

Two items--The warranty is very limited in time and designed to take care of manufacturing defects, not angler error, misuse, or etc. The repair cost is stated and seems very reasonable to me. The $700 price seems very reasonable for a well-made rod that doesn't carry the burden of a lifetime, no fault warranty.

Second, they come without rod cases. Not sure what to think about this, other than it means the buyer has to figure out what they want with the rod.

My next rod purchase will likely be one of these, although I'm holding off until my skill level justifies another purchase.

·
I is a School of Hi Grad
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can anyone someone please weigh the rod - it kind of says a little about the graphite in the blank, and the swing weight we'd be working with; WRX is right on the money mentioning rod weights in oz..

Rod sections can be weighed individually when balanced on the line scales we use; and then totaled .

Chief; weighing your custom built would be fine too.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Weight

Scale says 11.5 oz with my stick
Yes it doesnt come with a tube but hell I always travel with at least 2 rods and I have a 4" PVC tube that houses up to 6 rods in socks, so this isnt a big deal with me.
I have a shelf in the shop full of tubes that look brand new

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Truiest absolute weight comparison would be to weigh the top 3 section (or 2 for a 3 piece) for a 4 piece and compare it to another 4 piece.

Reason being is that some builders purposely use heavy reel seats and or lots of wood/rubber in the handle to put weight down there so lighter reels can balance off the long rod. This way you're comparing the graphite (and yes guides matter but to a lessor degree).

·
I is a School of Hi Grad
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks so much Chief!
11.5 ounces at 15' ain't too shabby! It all depends of course where the weight is in the rod. For instance; some composite cork rings are freaking heavy, really heavy; but since the extra weight is in the handle behind the balance point it doesn't matter so much.

On the other hand a few extra tenths of an ounce in the tip, say a tip that weights .6 oz verses a tip that weights .9 oz produces a tip that is quite noticeably heavier.

Would love to check this rod out further.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
i would rather own a heavier but well balanced rod that doesn't break then a light one that does...a well balanced heavier rod like my B&W feels like nothing in my hand and fishes fine all day...
I think that's a pretty decent rod at that price point from what i've heard..but i would also call and talk to Poppy all the same..

as a p.s. i believe he has some nice used 15' rods there as well that could be an option maybe?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Two items--The warranty is very limited in time and designed to take care of manufacturing defects, not angler error, misuse, or etc. The repair cost is stated and seems very reasonable to me. The $700 price seems very reasonable for a well-made rod that doesn't carry the burden of a lifetime, no fault warranty.

Second, they come without rod cases. Not sure what to think about this, other than it means the buyer has to figure out what they want with the rod.

My next rod purchase will likely be one of these, although I'm holding off until my skill level justifies another purchase.
IDK. $700 for a rod that doesn't have a lifetime warranty? I have had 2 broken Echos (DecHogan and Switch Rod). Both fixed for the cost of shipping it to Echo. Heck even my Amundson's (Canadian, built overseas) had a no fault warranty, and would ship back from Canada. These are $300-350 rods. For $700, I would ask for little more commitment to the customer.

Plus they don't tell you much about the rod. What type of graphite, hardware, where it is made, weight. All you get is "deep flex with soul" for $700. It is a tough market, alot of good rods out there for less, with a proven good rep. And lifetime warranties.

Just my 0.02

Avio:smokin:

Reactions: Rustybee
1 - 20 of 22 Posts