Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Some of you might remember that I posted a question about BC for a month a little while ago.

I need to ask your expertise again.

My Mid-Tour leave from Iraq is looking like its going to hit with me back in the world the last 2 weeks of september. I was just going to head back to washington and fish for a week...but what the hell. I have to come back to Hell literally so why not spend my 2 weeks in Paradise.

I am going to blast up to smithers and hang out for 8 or 9 days. Probably divide the time between the Bulkley and Kispiox (both have roads from what I understand). I know this to be about prime time up there. I am going to be throwing speys and dry lines mostly, but will have the dredging tips with me as well.

I asked a buddy of mine to go with me. he's been in alaska all summer guiding, but will be back real soon. I told him I would foot the lodging and gas. Thats a Damn Good deal if ya ask me. Sooo, can any of your guru's recommend good floats, or a cheapy place to stay? Can you run sleds up there? There MIGHT be the possibility of a sled. I wont know for a week or so.

Like I said, this is my mid-tour leave from Iraq (my once in a lifetime shot I am afraid) to get up there. Any recommendations will be GREATLY Appreciated. I'll owe someone a Bottle of Scotch for some good insider info. Thats my Promise. Thanks ahead of time. :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
lunkage in paradise

Hi luv2flyfish
I also will be up there during the dates you mentioned. I have been going for the past 6 years or so, send me an email and we can discuss the specifics.

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
You can run a sled on the Bulkley. I have caught several fish right at the Smithers bridge. When we went, we considered bringing my sled but opted for a raft and did not even use that.

Don't pass up on the Skeena - there are some really classic great runs on it close to the confluence with the Bulkley - some so long you can spend several hours on a single run!

·
Swinger of Flies
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats my kind of run.....

Thanks for the reply Rick J.

Some of my favorite fishing are those big huge long runs that you could spend all day on. Maybe not the most productive, but it sure feels good to just zone out and cover the water.

I havent heard from my fishin bud yet as he's still in AK. Soo, I still have no idea what will happen. I told his wife that I would come over and do yard work for a year if she lets him go on this trip with me. :chuckle:

Once this whole plan gets set into quantifiable motion, I will post a good report when I get back. By the 18th or 20th I should be standing knee deep in a river once again. Life sure sucks when ya cant fish. I sure hope I havent forgotten how to throw a spey rod.....

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Have great fun.

Two friends went up wtih me a few years ago. One of them was a good friend of Yvon Choinard who owns Patagonia who was up there and spent two weeks with us guiding us on his favorite runs. It was great and he sure found fish on the Skeena

1 - 5 of 5 Posts