Spey Pages banner

Smithers Reports

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Flyguy9 
#1 ·
Anyone been on the bulkley, morice, or kispiox recently? I'm headed up there next week and would like to hear they are getting fish. :smokin:

CDG

#2 ·
Hmmm.....

Well, I was planning on heading up there next week as well, but my road dog has other engagments that will prevent him rolling. Soo, please post a good report when ya get back. Good Luck! Jay

#3 ·
This is my off year so I am not headed up but I did have one report that the K is in need of some water. Of course, that can change over night and not always for the best. :( Good luck and be sure and catch a dinner at the Crocodile in Telkwa.

#5 ·
I just returned from Skeena country yesterday - everything is out due to ongoing heavy rain. While I was specificaly targeting coho, I did manage two days of steelhead fishing - I whent 3 for 7 despite visability of a foot or less, so there are fish around.
speydoc

#6 ·
Just back from a week on the Bulkley. The river was up & down with rain on & off all week. It never did "go out", but it was fairly dirty at times. The fish were pretty tenative with a large % of takes at the bottom of the swing. We fished dries whenever it looked like they had a chance, but only 2 or 3 fish landed on dries that I heard about. I didn't raise one at all myself. We caught more small steelhead down to 22"(looked like Rogue fish) than I've ever seen on a BC trip. There were a few 34-36" fish landed nothing larger. Eight rods landed about 48 fish. So as I said to the guide as we floated away from the run called "Stupendous" after 2 of us landed 2 fish & had 1 tug in about 4 hrs: "that was good, but not Stupendous".Coming out I talked to a guy who had fished Silver Hilton on the Babine who reported 106 fish landed for 9 rods.

Jay Beckstead

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just returned from a week on the Sustut; the rivers in Smithers and surrounding areas are in great shape right now. Two weeks ago most of the rivers had blown out with heavy rain but several days of clear cold weather dropped them all into shape.

We had very good fishing on the Sustut both in terms of numbers of fish and size; the largest landed was something like 41 x 22. I managed a sweet 39.5 x 20 buck and had several other 15-20 pound fish. We even had some dry fly action despite 39 - 41 degree water.

The Bulkley and Morice were also fishing well according to people we met in Smithers. No reports on the Babine. The Kispiox was in good shape but the anglers we met that had been there reported very few fish to hand; that may not have been the most representative sample though.

It's supposed to rain again this week, so who knows about the conditions going forward. I'll try to post a pic or two in this message if I can figure out how to do it but if not you can see a nice 35 x 17 dry fly fish at:

washingtonflyfishing.com/gallery/showphoto.php?

Circlespey

[edited by moderator to remove non-sponsor link]

#9 ·
Just got back to the Seattle area today after 5 days in the Smithers area. Spent 4 days on the Kispiox and nothing yesterday as ALL the rivers were really blown :frown: . We had pretty good fishing on the 8, 9, 10. Including a 39" and a 35" on a dry. It started raining the night of the 11th and by noon on the 12th the Kispiox was pretty much gone. Yesterday we were going to fish the Bulkley but it was really bad so we just scouted new spots for next year. Oh well.

Lon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.