Spey Pages banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we've all heard it: "EWWWW!! your hands smell like fish!". if you cook, you may notice the lingering smell of onions or peppers on your hands after cutting or just handling them. you wash your hands and the smell is still there, or perhaps you use lemon juice so now you have lemon fish smelling hands. i don't know about you, but my wife really gives me "the 'ol stink eye" after i've been fishing and handled a fish, and after i fillet one for dinner. she loves to eat them, but the smell on the hands isn't her favorite. i've tried all sorts of tricks and methods to rid my hands of the smell but haven't been completely effective at getting rid of the smells..............until now. i was in a local shop that sells lotion, massage oil, candles, and soaps looking for a valentine's day "little something". all of it is made by them locally and being as how i was lost and confused with all the different smells and items the lady gave me a rundown on what all of the different products where. then it happened. she was giving me a rundown of what the stuff was, and i asked about 1 particularly odd looking little "block". she said it's "coffee soap" and will take the smell of just about anything "natural" right off without harsh chemicals. si i picked up a couple to try out. the stuff works wonders! got lucky yesterday and had my hands on a couple steelhead. came home and the wife gave me the "wrinkle nose" when she smelled my hands. so i broke out the little bar of soap and gave it a try. it worked!! no more smell i could detect, and no soap smell either. the soap doesn't have hardly any smell so it wasn't a perfume to cover the smells, just the unique action of the soap. later that night i chopped veggies including onions and peppers, and it worked on them too.

so take a look at the local "smell bad shop":rolleyes: if you have one, and see if they make this stuff. it was under $4 and well worth it.

Attachments

·
JD
3,648 Posts
onions & garlic

After chopping onions or garlic, wipe across your hands with the blade of a stainless steel knife.Just be carefull not to cut yourself. Works for me.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A visiting Dutch angler gave me something that I suppose is made of stainless steel and it is lozenge shaped - or imagine an oval bar of soap that has been used for a while. This seems to remove the smell of fish when rubbed in the hands.

Regards
Steven

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Being in law enforcement....I get my fair share of smelly things to deal with......
I am talking about decomposing bodies.......some of the worst ones I have ever dealt with, weren't discovered for several weeks after being found lying in bed under a heated electric blanket.

You CANNOT even begin to imagine what the smell is like. The last one was dead on the top floor of a 5 storey building at the rear apt...you could smell him at the entrance on the main floor....at the front of the building.

I can attest first hand to the effectiveness of coffee and HORRID smells. Just burn some fresh coffee grounds in a really hot frying pan on a stove and you can breath within about five minutes......in even the worst of smells.

So coffee soap would certainly make sense.

Sorry if I grossed anyone out.

Paul

·
Registered
149 Posts
memories of a rookie

Paul, that story reminded me of my first DOA as a cop -- as the rookie I got to go downstairs, three floors, with the feet first. And was taught to always carry a cheap smelly cigar to light and carry between clenched teeth to reduce the smell. Only later did I learn of the burn the coffee beans trick.
The only smell worse is a floater after several weeks in the hot sun. :eek: :Eyecrazy:
I'll go look for some coffee soap now.

·
JD
3,648 Posts
Smelly hands

Years ago I made the mistake of not washing my hands after putting on sun tan lotion. The results were a totally wasted day.Zero, ziltch, not a single hit. After that I started carrying boraxo in the car. Along with handy wipes. So where can we get we get this coffee soap? Or maybe more importantly. does anyone have any suggestions for de-contaminating flies that may have already been handled by smelly hands?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the coffee soap i have is made here local. the coffee is from a roaster just down the street actually. i have no idea where else it might be made.

they have a web site: http://www.seasidescents.com/

just email them (or call them) and tell them you want the coffee soap. it's $3 a bar. they will set it up so you can use paypal.

as for contaminated flies...... i've been told lemon joy, but i have never tried it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.