Spey Pages banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a new truck last fall and it has a “smart key” with push button start. What do people do when shuttling their vehicles for a float?

I used to just give the shuttle guy a spare key and have him lock it in the truck but that’s no longer an option since the truck won’t lock with the key in it.

really stumped on this one. In some cases I leave it at a fly shop and then I could have them bring it back to the shop and pick it up later but other cases that’s not an option.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have a modern fob push button start. I put the fob in a faraday bag.
Then I put that in a mag box under my hitch or trailer and relay that info to the shuttle driver. I have a friend that does the same but has a coded lock box permanently glued to his trailer.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most vehicles with smart keys come with two fobs, which would make it the same as having two keys. It if you only have one smart key though, it would be an issue as you say.
I do have two fobs - the unfortunate problem is that leaving one in the truck isn’t possible since the vehicle will not lock knowing the fob is in it. Duncs solution works since the bag will block the radio waves and “ trick” the truck into thinking the key isn’t nearby. I’ll likely just have the shuttle driver lock the faraday bag with fob in the truck then I’ll use my backup fob to unlock it.

Thanks for the responses!

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I put my fob in a lock box bolted to the trailer. The box prevents the car from “seeing” the fob and keeps it locked. My code is the last 4 digits of the trailer license plate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wrap the fob in doubled Heavy Duty aluminum foil and it will lock inside your console. Ghetto faraday bag. Most shuttle drivers in eastern Oregon carry a roll now as backup.

I had a keypad installed on my door so I can code in at the takeout, knowing my keys are locked inside instead of placed in the fuel door or under the bumper. Oregon scum has caught onto that trick and many rigs are getting stolen at Heritage Landing and Cottonwood Bridge now.

When we do multi-boat floats everyone uses the same shuttle company and locks their keys inside my rig. Works well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts