Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend 60-75% of my days each year on the Methow, Stilly, S. Fork Sky, Nooksack Forks, Sauk, etc... Not the largest pieces of water around. I Have a 9140 brownie and a Winston BIIX 11' (more of a switch rod) and I need something to fill the gap. I'd like something that would make a 10lb summer-run feel large, a 5lb dollie like a nice fish, and a 14" trout at least feel like it's on the end of the line. Maybe a 6/7 12-13'. If it'll handle 10gr/ft tips up to 9'-10' and put up with 15-20mph wind, I'd be thrilled. Not too light, not too heavy... I'll be using skagit-style heads, no long-bellies.

Any suggestions???

Thanks

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Perfect

The Guidelines LPXe 7/8 or Cie 7/8 are perfect. They throw about 380 grains with precision and power and can handle a full range of floating and sunk lines and poly leaders for a variety of fishing situations. They are made for the shooting head fanatic.

I can give you one to try for a bit if you would like.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another possiblitity if budget is a concern is the 6wt 12'6 TFO Professional. At the moment I'm using one with a 7/8 Hardy shooting head that I got from jack and it is awesome. I've been fishing everything from streams that aren't much more than a trickle up to good sized rivers like the Merrimack. (I've been mainly warmwater fishing.) Even with my feeble casting skils the rod will throw a sopping wet bass bug 80 or 90'. And even a little sunfish will put a little bend in the rod. I've been having lot of fun with this rod.

For a mid/short belly line, the AirFlo Delta 6/7 is a good match.

(If you can swing the Guidline, I'd give that a try. I'd try one but my wife is getting a little suspicious about all these tubes appearing in the basement. :eek: )

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Geoff -

The trick is to reach critical mass with tubes so that it's no longer possible for her to tell when a new one has been added :lildevl:

·
Banned
974 Posts
juro said:
Geoff -

The trick is to reach critical mass with tubes so that it's no longer possible for her to tell when a new one has been added :lildevl:
Geoff -

Another option is to get your wife to join you fly fishing. I've gone from "how many rods do we own?" a couple years ago to her thinking that all of the new purchases are for her. :smokin:

P.S. - Lynn is going to have her first spey casting lesson tomorrow!

Juro - I just received a 13'4" CND Solstice a couple of days ago. I am looking forward to using it.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
critical mass!

i love it!!!,when i was a dirtbike nut i used to sneak them into the yard/shop,etc..hoping she wouldn't notice=the red one,or the blue one,,hahah,with rods,it's similar,,,once i've had the piece and am experiencing the joy and smiles,she just looks at it and me and doesn't say a word,must look like a dog with a bone wandering around the yard :rolleyes: ,just sell off some other lesser hobby/sporting gear and she'll soften up ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Small river rod?

Trevor
Test drive a G.Loomis 6/7 or 7/8 Dredger, you mentioned that your going to use a skagit system ,these rods are perfect for this application. I fished the 7/8 in the spring with an Airflo prototype (these are now available) great set up. The 7/8 will be my rod of choice this fall, here in the great lakes region.
Good Luck
Rick Whorwood

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Trevor...

All the rods mentioned so far are great choices and I'm wondering why Jack didn't also mention the little Snowbee rods. The Torridge 12'-6/7-310 grn optimal head weight or the Tamar 12'6"-7/8-370 grn optimal head weight. I have been fishing the 12'6" model with a 5/6 WC spey line and a skagit line that weighs in @ 445 grns. These rods fish great and they are priced right. Take a test drive on your water.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Rods

Another one to consider is the SAGE 6126. Exceptional rod that can do a lot of things. Seeing how you have a 9140 already I am assuming that you like Sage rods to begin with? I think it would fill the gap that you are missing quite nicely?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Trevor,
For a great performing rod at an incredible price I second the TFO 12' 6" 6wt.

If you want to spend the money, a T&T 1307 is magic.

Chris

·
Registered
328 Posts
Small river rods :razz:

Loomis IMX Slate 13´ #9
Loomis GLX 13´ #8

:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
869 Posts
i will vote for the T&T 1206 or even the 1307 if you need a little more rod. both are very capable with the 1206 being a little shy of a lot of weight/sinktips. the 1307 has an incredible range and is great with even a 5 lb fish on. as far as getting it past swmbo my fathers old new gun trick of going to gun shows with an old guncase with a broom handle in it to keep it rigid and returning with a new gun in the old case with the broom handle removed. btw they have been married for 55 years. ;)

·
FISHIN' FREELANCER
1,425 Posts
as far as getting it past swmbo my fathers old new gun trick of going to gun shows with an old guncase with a broom handle in it to keep it rigid and returning with a new gun in the old case with the broom handle removed. btw they have been married for 55 years.
Thats a good one... heres one more. have a friend [must be trustworthy!] bring the tube by at a later date and thank you for the loan of a rod or trial of a potential sale.

gotta stay creative. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
BLACK FRANCIS said:
as far as getting it past swmbo my fathers old new gun trick of going to gun shows with an old guncase with a broom handle in it to keep it rigid and returning with a new gun in the old case with the broom handle removed. btw they have been married for 55 years. ;)
My wife would know. In fact she'd ask why I was bringing case to the show. No matter what I'd say, she'd add, "But why one with a broom handle in it?" :eek:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts