Testing out snow runner & coypu (from SRFS):

1.8 mm tube
14/0 GG sheer thread
Rear Post: silver collared bead-stop, yellow saddle hackle
Rear Wing: sunburst Finn Raccoon
Body: light olive fritz
Rib: medium French oval silver tinsel twist
Front Post: double silver collared bead stop, chartreuse schlappen
Front Wing: chartreuse snow runner, chartreuse crystal flash, natural Amherst centre tail, black coypu
Cheeks: paired JC eyes
Head: chartreuse conehead

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
part II

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
part III

all comments & critiques welcomed!

Mike

·
Dom
3,157 Posts
So can this finally be officially called Speyducer? You been tying this style tubes for God knows how many years..!

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So can this finally be officially called Speyducer? You been tying this style tubes for God knows how many years..!
If I was going to allow myself to be 'defined' by a style of fly, I would hope it wouldn't be by someone with as poor observational skills as your goodself! ;)

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How do you attach the yellow conehead?
After checking that the conehead slides & fits neatly over the 1.8mm plastic tubing (usually 3mm length is enough), and reaming out the central hole of the conehead with a fine tapered round mini-file if necessary for this neat fit, and then adding varnish generously over silk head wraps, the conehead is snugged into position leaving some plastic tubing still protruding outside the conehead, this remaining & protruding plastic tube is heat-flared over the end of the conehead; this is very secure.

Mike

·
Administrator
19,225 Posts
Nice work on the SBS Mike :)
This has bright day noon fly written all over it !! Nice !!

A couple years back I hooked up on the Margaree with a similar pattern. The sun was high and bright, unusually warm for a fall day, but a hen salar could not resist the sunburst and chartreuse arctic fox shank :smokin:

Mike

·
Registered
517 Posts
Interesting fly . I can call it GH intruder.
Finn racoon looks like polar bear . in fact on photo difficult to recognize that it is not pb .

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting fly . I can call it GH intruder.
Finn racoon looks like polar bear . in fact on photo difficult to recognize that it is not pb .
I would agree; Finn raccoon does look very like PB, and handles very similarly too. It has a very nice translucence, and apart from the black tips on some of the fibres, it's really hard to tell the difference.

·
Released to spawn
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another dandy Mike! Great SBS! Is that bead stop as heavy as it looks?

Thanks Phil
Hi Phil,

these bead stops are white metal (alloy) and shaped a bit like a British WWI soldiers' helmet. They are quite light (although I haven't weighed them), and are used for a bit of weight but mostly for the flare effect of a post.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts