Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently cut my floating line so that I could experiment with some sink tips. As recommended I chopped off 12' of the SA Short-head line. I'm now using 10' and 15' tips.

To keep it simple I just used some commercial RIO braided loops and Aquaseled them on (then a couple of nail knots).

The problem that I'm finding is that the braided loops don't lock together when joined. They noticeably slip when I push the loops towards each other.

During casts my line is straightening out nicely until it hits the loop connectors where it then loses energy and falls in a heap. I'm pretty sure the connector loops are slipping.

Question. Any suggestions to lock the braided loops together? The loops seem too stiff and slippery to lock. :eek:

Thanks in advance,
Preston

·
Registered
159 Posts
Preston,
you don't have to get those loops to lock. They should come loose when you push them together. Thats the whole point. They allow you to easily change tips. When casting, the entire line is under tension. This tension will hold the loops locked together. Hinging can be a problem. Some people will strip coating off the line and then run the core out the end of the braided loop to help reduce the hinging effect. I don't think the loop is entirely to blame. Are your sink tips balanced for your system? Did the line turn over smoothly before you cut it?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
loops

Hey Stamp...,

I understand the loops should be easily interchangeable. However, with these new loops I put on (braided mono), they tend to really easily slip around.

I also understand, in theory, the loops should be under tension during the cast. My poor casting technique may be at fault in this respect.

Before I cut the line I was getting the line to lay out decently.

In terms of the tips I haven't weighed the grainage of the 12' section I cut off. I just approximated that 10' sinktips would be close.

Actually the sink tips cast and turnover fine. It's just the floater that falls in a heap.

Thinking about it now perhaps the floater is a little lighter and highlights my poor casting technique?

I just like to blame things on gear or my setup...but perhaps it's just my casting. Hopefully I'll improve after this weekend's SpeyClave!

Thanks for the feedback,
Preston

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Like stamp I doubt it is the loops but I stiffen my braided loops with aquaseal or softex and this helps them lock together a little better. I dip the whole thing in a jar of softex and let them drip dry.

-sean

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm confused if it's the floater you're having difficulties with. I've switched from braided loops to the ones Wrke uses. His loops are made with the core of the line using the splicing technique explained by Dana. The loops are stiffened by running mono inside the core. It took me a long time to find flex zap but it was worth the wait. I love these loops! They are small and compact. There was a thread with pics showing how to do them but I can't seem to find it for you. I'm sure the problem will be solved at the speyclave you're headed to. Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts