Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping around for a sling vest. I use a small over the shoulder zip container of my own design now that I can fit a fly box and some leader in but need a little bit larger to hold a sandwich and a light rain shell but not too big. I have seen guys using these sling packs and they look perfect for Spey casting with good unobstructed motion of both arms. Anyone have a pack that they really like? I just can't use a vest in the warmer weather.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have two sling packs: A Snowbee and a Vision Aqua sling. I like the Snowbee if the weather isn't too wet, as it has more pockets and allows me to carry a water bottle on the outside. In wet weather, I use the Vision Aqua sling, as it's completely waterproof. The sling allows me to access the pack without having to take it off, and swings out of the way when I'm casting my DH rods.

Attachments

·
Administrator
18,298 Posts
Another vote for the Vision Aqua-Sling.
Just the right size for a large line wallet, tip wallet, leader wallet, tippet spools, 2 large fly boxes and a couple sandwiches :D

Mike

·
Registered
102 Posts
I use a Simms Dry Creek Z Sling. Waterproof and really tough. Will last forever! Only downside is the zipper. Because it's a waterproof zipper, it's a little more difficult than a regular zipper. Keeps everything dry when it rains!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Patagonia stealth Atom sling I am looking to sell.
I have too many packs and don't use it. PM me if you are interested.

Emel

SLING PACK1.jpg

SLING PACK3.jpg

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am very happy with the Orvis Safe Passage® Guide Sling Pack. Its has a huge 1300cu. in. capacity and very comfortable. I got my first one when they first came out about 5 years ago. After 4 years of fishing 100+ days a year one of the zippers started sticking a little so I gave it to a young angler and bought another one.

·
Registered
876 Posts
As FishTech says the Orvis is good - I own one. I also love the Umpqua packs. I forget the model but I have one that is 1200 cu inches - it's my goto pack.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been using the Vedavoo beast sling for the past 2 seasons; steelhead, trout, even saltwater. Lots of storage, especially if your just carrying smaller boxes, instead of the Bugger Beast Jr, and very comfortable without needing an "armpit strap" to keep it centered on your back. USA made and an excellent warranty.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Judy's goto is the Orvis, which is comfortable; where as I have a much larger Umpqua (as I wanted additional gear space for a jacket, thermos of coffee).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sling

I like my Patagonia Atomic Stealth. It does exactly what you're asking for plus a little more. I was looking for the exact thing you are now looking for: As small a pack as possible; one that would carry a large flybox and a light rain jacket. With a Patagonia Deep Wading jacket (size med) and a large flybox, the fit was tight, but workable (It will not fit a Simms Guide Jacket). It has a few other bells and whistles, the most important was an exterior water bottle holder that gets me easy access to drinking water. I also like the pocket on the shoulder strap. I keep a file, hook hone and abel tool in it. When my fly ticks a rock in the winter, or I get a knot in my leader, I have easy access to those tools. Good luck. There are a lot of nice slings out there now.
Tight lines,
Keith

·
Registered
173 Posts
My $0.02. I am clumsy and fallen in countless times. Whatever you get, I would suggest something waterproof... Also helps keep your stuff wet during deep wading. I just use a dry bag and sling it over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts