Spey Pages banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the tendency to bring more flies--and hence fly boxes--when I go fishing than I will ever really need in a month of dredging. I wedge these boxes into my vest and I end up with my pockets bulging out. With my waders on I probably start to take on a slight resemblance to the Michelin Tire guy.

I have found that this extra inch or two that my pockets protrude gets in the way of my speycasting (OK, so perhaps my gut is adding another inch to the formula here).

Instead of reducing my load (obvious solution that I can't quite come to terms with), I ordered a sling pack. Like the one in this picture. I obfuscated it a bit because I don't believe this exact one is from a sponsor. I don't have it yet, but was wondering if other folks have had similar challenges with their fully-loaded vests interfering with their casting.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
For over 15 years I've just used a waist pack that I bought for wading for bonefish that I sling over my neck and one shoulder when I fish for salmon and steelhead. I use a vest for my trout fishing, used one once for spey casting and won't again. The freedom of a "sling" is great. I think you'll be really happy.

·
Flyfishing Camp Cook
122 Posts
I've had a hard time finding the perfect vest. Mostly because I mostly row whereever I'm going. I got to the point that there was always something wrong. I ended up with a military tactical type vest. More freedom of movement (since they have to be lol), and doens't obstruct my fishing at all. Plus, can find them fairly cheap, depending on which one you buy (though some will be as much as a coastal pack type vests). I gave up on the wait packs. Always got in the way when rowing, especially hard rowing. So would take them off. But have two vests I use primarily now. The one is a London Bridge Trading vest (they won't sponsor, so won't ask since you have to be military to buy these vests lol, not a big market in hunting, let alone fishing for them). The other is a well known company. Those are my two (the LBT is my boat vest, so I don't have to pull off my floatation vest to fish).

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Dave-
I've been using one for a few months now. It is the William Joseph Satchel. I has a small fly patch on the front as well as a built in retractor for my nippers. I added another retractor for my file and I am able to clip on my scissor clamps on to one of the sewn in sleave like tool holder things. In the back is 1 large pocket where I throw my tip wallets, fly boxes and such and another smaller pocket for my leaders and tippet spools.

I also added a retractor with a set of nippers to the back so that when I sling it around to change flies, tippet, etc., I don't have to sling the bugger back and forth to get out my tools.

I must say I love it!! It's very comfortable, everything is out of the way and although I thought I had found the perfect vest/pack with William Joseph's Coastal pack, I never found myself using the front pockets and felt they just got in the way.

I've always found excuses to not where every other pack I've owned in the past. I've yet to search for an excuse with this guy. ANyways, I wearing it in the following picture and you can hardly see it...a good thing for a chest pack/vest/etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Like Ryan I got a William Joseph sling with a front pocket and two rear pockets a couple of years ago and love it - I switched for the same reason - much better freedom in spey casting - you can place it so the ftont pocket can ride differently depending on your casting style. They are great and carry alot of gear.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I made the one I use, it worked for me for a couple of years. Just took a fanny pack that had the features that i liked, and added a harness system that I found in LL Bean's Fly Fishing catalogue for $15.

·
Steelhead Dreamer
462 Posts
I had the same problem. Tried all the various options mentioned (except the tactical vest) and found them all lacking. Either they did not sit comfortably, or they were too bulking in the front, or they were more trouble than they were worth shifting around.

Finally, settled on a saltwater pouch with a sling strap made for and sold by National Feather Craft (cost about $25) for the stuff I need on the water and a sling strap day pack I found on sale at the Columbia factory store in Portland for all the extras I can leave on the bank when actually fishing, though because of the harness and strap it does not get in the way of spey casting or the pouch. Cost was about $30 for this water proof heavy duty fabric day pack.

Regards,

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
Sparky put that D&%n fish back in the water where it belongs....................

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Hey Man-
It was a hatchery fish. Plus there is copius amounts of water dripping of that fish. So what do you say about that Mr. Whitefish?...although I did hear you stepped up to a cuttie this past week. :p

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wj

Hi!

This summer i had a William Joseph Creel pack. It was perfect to carry stuf in and was very lightweight. BUT, i like to get to my waderpocket there i have my mobilphone, keys, money and things like thaht. It was noot pleasing whit the WJ pack then.

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
of course it was a hatchery fish :lildevl: You were just downstream of the creek then....right?

local

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
Fishing a ''Glo_Bug'' w/ split shot at the hatchery race way outlet. !!! :lildevl: :razz: :razz:
local

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Peter-
Don't worry too much, a Spey cast was used to cover the lie. No need for a longer two-hander when every lie on that very river can be covered with a well executed single-handed Spey cast. :)

Local-
Don't take out your steelheading insecuries on me with blatant lies and unsupported accuisations. :p

·
Mossback Hillbilly
27 Posts
Sparky: Need I post some pictures for you? Try and show some respect for the elders here, will ya? Jeez, I been swinging for winter fish since before you were born, and if you don't watch it, It'll be swingin' for em after your gone too !! :D Seriously though, if you're not already gone up north, I'll see ya this week. Almost time to chase brats around in my boat. Maybe we can get an early start, say mid November? Get a 2'' ball for your rig, so you can tow the boat too, those 'hell runs' to the OP have gotten to me the past 3 weeks. Us old folks do better when we don't have to drive , and fish, and drive in the same day. Gotta go, need to rest up for Election Night. It'll be a long one, I am sure !!
Good Luck if You Go..............
local

1 - 14 of 14 Posts