Spey Pages banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the running line on a Skagit line with 50# Slick Shooter and plan on using Brian's splicing method to go from head to Slick Shooter.

What's the best method of attaching the Slick Shooter 30# Dacron backing?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had good luck with an albright.
I also tested a braided loop and it tested well, but I didn't trust it.

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
When I use mono, I slide it up inside the backing 7 inches or so and whip the end of the frayed backing with thread and zap. Never had one fail and best of all no knots to catch. This is a old Dave Whitlock trick.

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Try this

Striping off the coating of the fly line about 4 inches; then with the Slick Shooter make little fish scales (on both sides) on the last 2 inches of it.

Then place a 3 inches piece of 30 lbs. braided mono down the Slick Shooter.

Over lap the Slick Shooter and the core of the fly line (make the Slick Shooter but up to the coating of the fly line) whip finish them together (about 2 inches) clip off tags.

Then pull the braided mono over the splice and whip finish each end. Make sure there are NO tags hanging out.

Then use Aqua Flex over the braided mono let dry and your set.

You can use any flex able cement you want; but I use Aqua Flex.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brian,
Have you found the above method as strong as your original method (inserting the roughed up slick shooter ~2" into the core of the fly line...)? Certainly sounds like an easier method.

Also, what do you use for the slick shooter to backing knot?

Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Perfection Loop

Tie a perfection loop in each and loop to loop the backing to the slickshooter. 50lb Slickshooter is small enough that a perfection loop doesn't make much racket going through the guides. And the backing is even thinner.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Gator,

If the 30# dacron backing is hollow braided, I agree with the post about running the mono a few inches up the backing, whip finish the end of the backing, and coat with aqua flex. I also rough up the mono with sand paper to give the backing a better bite on the mono, altho it probably isn't necessary.

I just tried this the other day playing around with a reel loaded with 20# backing, and I couldn't get the backing braid to open up enough even with a needle thinner than the mono diameter, so it depends a lot on the specific backing material with respect to being hollow braided or not, and how wide it will open if it is hollow braided.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Try a loop-to-loop connection using a Bimini Twist in the 30# backing and a double surgeon's loop in the 50# Slickshooter; been using this connection all season with no problems.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like the idea of the loop to loop connection since the reel serves multiple duties. Was worried about the perfection/double surgeon's loop in the Slick Shooter being bulky and clunking through the guides but from the sounds of things this is not an issue.

Chris

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
FLGator said:
Brian,
Have you found the above method as strong as your original method (inserting the roughed up slick shooter ~2" into the core of the fly line...)? Certainly sounds like an easier method.

Also, what do you use for the slick shooter to backing knot?

Chris
Yes it's as strong plus NO knots

I use the same connection to the backing too

I just don't like knots in the line

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who responded. Sounds like several interesting methods and I plan on giving them a try.
Chris

·
BULL DOG!!!!
Gaelforce
1,913 Posts
I agree with Brian, no knots is the way to go!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Brian Simonseth said:
Over lap the Slick Shooter and the core of the fly line (make the Slick Shooter but up to the coating of the fly line) whip finish them together (about 2 inches) clip off tags.

Then pull the braided mono over the splice and whip finish each end. Make sure there are NO tags hanging out.
This sounds like a good idea that I would like to try, but can someone describe in more detail how to whip finish the slick shooter and core together? I have used a whip finish to tie flies, but that has always involved forming a loop and bringing it over the shank of the hook, which won't work in this case. sorry about my poor knot tying skills. :confused:

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Bill Nash has a method whee he puts loops in both similar to what Topher mentions then slip a braided loop over the loops and whip finishes behind the knots - this makes a very smooth connection and can be eaily interchangable

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Perfection loops

are much less than 100% knots. If you are really stressing your system with a heavy leader and big fish, one of these knots could fail. Besides, they are not as smoth as the loops Brian is talking about, which are 100% or very close in breaking strength.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts