Spey Pages banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Knowing many of you have tried the slickshooter route, what is your favorite knot for the loop connection to the head?

Perfection knot is easy, surgeons loop is strong but a little bulky.

Does anyone whip or nail, then coat with aquaseal or pliobond?

I am thinking of doing the following:

Nail over the folded line to create a loop, with a tag end sticking out. Use a thinner monofilament to avoid bulk, 10# or 12#

Then fold the tag over, nail again at an offset location.

Coat with aquaseal.

Given the aquaseal, a single nail knot would probably do it.

Any experiences out there? It should be strong enough to hold a big chinook.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just tried this two nights ago and ended up cutting off the entire mess. I was able to bury the tag end ok, but the loop of the tag end tended to catch on guides coming back in, even tho I created a taper with kevlar thread. I assume by "folding over the tag end" you mean folding it so the tip ends up facing the shooting head.

I ended up doing something not very pretty but figure it should hold up and help reduce hinging: I folded over about 1.5 to 2 inches of the tag for the loop; put in a nail not at the loop end; tapered the tag end; kevlared the entire length from the nail knot down over the tag end and out on the running line just a bit. Then Aqua Sealed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had good luck with whipped loops.
On a side note, I think that slick shooter is too stretchy to get a good hook set, not fun to strip in all day long, and when it does tangle...look out. but 30ft of lead core and it shoots a mile!
call me about next week

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did happen to notice that the slickshooter had some very noticeable stretch to it.

How about Airflo Miracle Braid, any experiences fishing with it? I like the fact that as Andrew of Tightlines says you can use it to make it's own compact loop with a splicing tool, very nice. But I ran it through my fingers and decided I would need to pick up some of that textured athletic stuff for my strip finger.

No stretch whatsoever though... I'll give them both a try soon.

The Polyshoot XT intermediate is a nice shooting line, but the wind kept blowing it out of my basket. This could be a fault of the basket, but it was one of those high-priced molded cone jobbies with the brand name.

I am starting to think that a high density sinking running line is the best choice for beach fishing. It's thinnest of all, lays heavy in the basket in wind or when chasing a blitz, cuts the waves, and there are no snags to speak of on the big beaches. I will give that a try as a third option and post my results. The evidence already points that way.

Already tried floating running line, what a joke that was - each wave pushed it onto the beach.

·
Registered
76 Posts
two thoughts: since distance will not be a problem, I would go with a thicker running line like .035 or some thing. It will resist tangles and stay put in the basket.
I read about a running line with a gsp core. In an intermediate sink, that could be the ticket.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
I fished the slickshooter on the cape and did not have a problem with stretch. I thought it was OK overall and the 50lb stuff is not bad to strip. A ton of hardcore steelhead guys use it around here so it cannot be that bad. If you need distance it really shoots. Still looking for somthing better though.

Interested to hear how that miracle braid works for you. Let us know.

-sean

·
Registered
378 Posts
50 lb slickshooter kicks a%# for speyfishing. The real advantage is not in how far it will shoot(very far) but rather in how it enables you to fish. Off the spool it is coily but with a bit of use it straightens right out. I know people that soak it in water to make it like butter right from the start of the day. Personally I just deal with the coils for the first 10 minutes and then it's streched out nicely and no coils or tangles. I don't know anyone who has trouble with the 50lb actually tangling while Steelhead fishing. I have been fishing the stuff for over two years and have had way less tangling than the factory running line that comes on rio or airflow spey lines. As for knots this is what works for me. fold the slickshooter over and nailknot with 20lb Maxima Ultragreen. I have not tried other brands as this is something I fish with but I'm sure they would work. The key here is to pull the nailknot as hard as you can so it bites into the slickshooter. I use two nailknots but one really would be fine. If you haven't set the knot hard enough to bite into the slickshooter you will know right away by giving it a good pull. Save the aquaseal for your leaky waders this connection is clean, easy to do in the field, doesn't require glue and has never failed me.
BN

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Slick shooter is fantastic; here is how I hook it up with NO knots!
I use a piece of .031 running line to my taper section, I attach my Slick Shooter to that.

I strip about two inches of coating off run line, place a needle up though the center core of the running line and leave it there for a couple hours. Put a piece of 30 lbs. braided mono (about 6 inches piece) over the Slick Shooter and get it out of the way. Take the needle out of the core of the running line and put the Slick Shooter up were the needle was (Rough up the Slick Shooter before you put it in the core of the running line). Take tying thread and rap that connection, then pull the braided mono over that connection. And rap both ends with trying thread. Then I coat it with Aqua Flex (felx cement). I use the same system on backing too.

NOT lost a line with that slice!

Thanks, RA

·
Registered
127 Posts
Brian's secret

Brian is one of the best line splicers and knot tyers I know. His knots never break. Brian did not tell all his secret formula. He tightens all his knots with snooze. The secret is out. Jerry

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Brian

I think you mean you have NOT lost a line with that splice?

Also, you rough up the slick shooter before wrapping it up, correct?

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Thanks, Ted

Ted you saw this in Oregon, brain ----.

Rough up the Slick Shooter before you put it in the core of the running line.

:tsk_tsk:

"I think you mean you have NOT lost a line with that slice"

Yep

:smokin:

Happy B-Day Beau!

·
EAT IT!!!
338 Posts
Double Nail knots really need to be dug in. I think I am gonna swith to a glued perfection loop instead. The stuff is the best running line I have used, but I am not tossing is "Juro" distance from a basket, so I don't know how good it would be for that. Once you get the memory out of it, it doesn't tangle, goes like mad, lifts easily from the water to repostion on a swing, and is think enough for good handling. That would be the 50lb. Good stuff!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I just recently got a running line from AIRFLO called POLYSHOOT XT for striper and salmon fishing and throwing heads. It comes in either a floating or intermediate version - 150 feet long. I attach 25# braided mono loops I made up using a single coated nail knot at either end. It is rated at 25# which might be light but should not be the weak link in the system with lighter tippet.

This stuff shoots like crazy and does not tangle - I think all my amnesia will just be a memory from now on. Should work with spey lines as well as traditional shooting heads

1 - 14 of 14 Posts