Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ve been fishing the entire season with the Ian Gordon 65´ heads, both for the 13 ftr and the 15ftr without any problems. Thinking about educating myself further by getting a longer head (for big rivers, but mostly, in all honesty, to play around with).

Since a 75´ head is *only* 10 ft longer than a 65´ head maybe I could go on directly to an 85´ head (such as the Carron 85´).

Is it really a must to go via the 75´? What say ye, long belly experts?

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yes buy the 75ft head line then the 85ft Carron you know you need lots of lines.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Willie Gunn said:
Yes buy the 75ft head line then the 85ft Carron you know you need lots of lines.
:D

But seriously, the almost scary and towering pile of lines on my desk is why I was thinking about this.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I'd go right to the 85' one on the 15' rod; however, I'd not go beyond the 75' one with the 13' rod. Going over 75' belly on 13' rods is a lot of work, and usually a 13' rod with a longer belly line is being used on smaller rivers so it can have the lies covered without shooting line.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flytyer said:
I'd go right to the 85' one on the 15' rod; however, I'd not go beyond the 75' one with the 13' rod. Going over 75' belly on 13' rods is a lot of work, and usually a 13' rod with a longer belly line is being used on smaller rivers so it can have the lies covered without shooting line.
Yeah, 65´ is enough for a 13ftr, I think. I actually use shooting heads as much as the ´65 Ian Gordon with my 13´ Norway. The 85´ is intended for the 15´,3" Kola.

An 85´ Carron 11/12 it is, then! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts