Spey Pages banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
A bit out of the way for me...

to try on my Skeena trip, but it's always good to hear of a place with good eats. Is this a new business or just one I've not patronized before?

I'll try to check it out later in the fall when I visit the river in its immediate neighborhood. Trouble is, it's hard to go anywhere other than the Log Cabin Pub for soup and a beer!

pescaphile

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Thanks Dana!

In 35 days, at around 8 AM, I should be near there and in need of breakfast. I will make sure we stop.

Glad you boys are back ffrom the Dean. I trust it was a good trip.

st

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Pescaphile,

Vicki's (the common name for the River's Edge - formerly B&J Pizza) blows the doors off the Log Cabin for food. There is no beer - but the food and hospitality rock. I always plan my stops to hit Vicki's when heading up the highway for points north and when I'm at the "T" there is no question about it at all.

Sinktip - we "bearly" survived the Dean trip! Fishing sucked - oh well, that's fishing...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Would that not be 'The catching sucked'?

Please, everybody, BC is calling this fall. BC is calling this fall. You are not a steelheader unless you fish BC. The US rivers don't count, there are no wild fish left here. The only real steelhead left in the world are north, please go north to find them.

Thanks for the heads up on some eats.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
Inland,

I was under the impression that the Snake, Rhonde and Deschutes were calling everyone. As you no doubt know, BC forcasts are way down. But there are a ton of factory fish headed back to the Columbia drainages. I am sure you won't lack for company.

As for there being no wild steelhead left south of the border, you are wrong. But not by much.

See you on the Snake (after I come back from BC)

:D

sinktip

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sintip,

I know it breaks your heart, but you won't find me on the Snake or any of the listed rivers. There are way better places to be, especially BC.

True, there was no emoticon, but, could you detect even the slightest hint of sarcasm in my post???

Even the 'depressed' numbers of BC fish are well worth it for every steelhead fisher to travel north. Why waste time in the states when the 'real' steelhead lie north? All of our 'factory fish' in the lower 48 aren't going to get past the Dalles this year, so no matter anyway. What is so appealing about catching a bunch of 24" to 26" hatchery inbreeds, while being sixth in line for EVERY piece of water, when all of those wild 12# to 30# fish are just waiting for a good presentation? I hear that 20# fish are caught about every 20 casts, or so it seems. Sounds like a no brainer to me. Please, I urge everybody that reads this board, and who thinks of themselves as a 'steelheader', to go north. Make sure that you bring a floating craft so you can see the best of the Skeena basin rivers. The locals, guides, and outfitters will love ya for that one. ;) Give up on the states completely.

On a serious note, people who are expecting a great september and october on the Ronde/Snake/Clearwater are going to be in for a rude awakening. This fall is forecast to be as dry and warm as the last two. The Dalles thermal block is showing no signs of abating, fish are going to be late. Probably as late as '98. There will be monster pressure chasing fewer fish in bone dry rivers. Sounds like a blast to me!

GO TO BC and spend some $$$ at the River's Edge if you happen to be driving that way!

William

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Then there will fewer to compete with Inland ... hmmm - nice plan, not original by any means, but nice try anyway :chuckle:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to agree with Dana and Tyler. Vicki's is a great place and the service is great even last year when my fishing partner decided to fish until a half hour after close. She had plates waiting for us because we told her we would be in. Can't beat that place.

JJ

·
Registered
889 Posts
Kush,

I am only trying to ruffle a few of your (and other people banking on BC) feathers. The Skeena rivers need more pressure like they need more nets and logging.

But I am not kidding about the thermal block on the Columbia. The last two days fish are finally starting to move over the Dalles. Weather the next 10 days is still forecast for highs to be in the 90's and lows in the 60's. Nothing to cool the reservoirs and help the fish. There will be a lot of fish that don't make it out of the Bonn pool this year. There is also the problem of when they decide to shut Dworshak off- if it is in a couple of weeks, LWG is going to rocket up to 74F to 76F and cause even more death and migration stoppage for the fish that do push on to the Snake.

William

·
Registered
138 Posts
BC Steelies

After hearing another great Dean report from my fishing buddy who has made Mecca (the Dean) a destination each of the last 10 Summers, I can't take it any more. I'll be heading up there next year and I'm already starting to shake uncontrollably.

A few weeks ago, my buddy and another guy fished mainly around the Victoria's crossing area (actually, a bit upstream from there). Many thick, chrome bullets hooked, lost and landed with the ultimate prize for my friend on the last day: a taped-out chrome bright 41" buck. And that, according to many vets who fish the Dean, is about as big as they come on this river. The fish gave his old Hardy Perfect probably the workout of it's existence.

That pretty much sold me on the REAL Big "D", as if his stories of past trips weren't enough!

BFR

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,393 Posts
William,

Yes, sarcasm was only one of the things I detected a hint of in your post.

You are probably right about the thermal block as I have fished the Snake, CW and GR enough years to have been bit by that before. It is still early though and I am not writing off 3000 fish a day over Lower Granite yet. Of course, these rivers need more crowding about as much as the Skeena system does. The only blessing is the crowded season is short and the good fishing much longer.

Yes, I am heartbroken we won't run into each other. Maybe some other time.

Duggan

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sinktip,

Man, can ya just feel the love??? :D:D:D

I hope the fishing is great around the first two weeks of Oct. That would put things back to normal and concentrate the fishing pressure during the run peak, this year and next. People would get their fill and leave the shoulder times alone so the locals and stragglers can enjoy some space.

William

1 - 13 of 13 Posts